No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quantile Transition Matrices

Hello,

Does anybody know how to compute transition matrices (and also make a table) in Stata? I want to calculate intergenerational mobility between parent-child generations.

Thanks

Ludmilla:
    if you have panel data, see -help xttrans-.
    Kind regards,
    Carlo
    (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

xttrans works well if you have panel data.

But for parent-child intergenerational mobility you typically have a variable of the education, income, occupation, ... of the parents and the same variable(s) for the child. In that case it is a simple cross-tabulation: for example tab ped ed (where ped is parental education, and ed is the education of the child). This of course leaves the question open which parent to choose when looking at parents education, but that is a substantive and not a statistical or Stata question.
      ---------------------------------
      Maarten L. Buis
      University of Konstanz
      Department of history and sociology
      box 40
      78457 Konstanz
      Germany
      http://www.maartenbuis.nl
      ---------------------------------

Comment

Thank you,

I found out that the -xtile- command also works well.
        You divide variables into quartiles (or quintiles) first and then you use the -tabulate- command to see the transition in the table

Comment

Hi Ludmila, could you please share an example of the code that you used? I'm confused about how did you use xtile and tabulate to get your transition matrix. Particularly, I'd like to know if the result is a bi-stochastic matrix (rows and columns sum up to one). --- Thank you.

Comment

I would also like to know about it. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X