Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Attaullah
    Thank you very much for your efforts with asdoc. I have begun to use it but have come across some problems that I can't solve (I expect it is a silly error on my part). Here is the code I am running and a note with the error asdoc reports:

Code:
    [** Test #1

sysuse auto, clear
    asdoc, text(A car is a wheeled motor vehicle used for transportation) replace fs(10)
    asdoc, text(Most definitions of car say they run primarily on roads, seat one  append fs(10)  
    asdoc, text(to eight people, have four tires, and mainly transport people.) append fs(10)  
    asdoc des, position type isnumeric format vallab append
    ** As expected to here.

asdoc tab foreign, append
    ** Error message after this line:
    *    "tabsumManyVars():  3200  conformability error
    *    <istmt>:     -  function returned error
    *    r(3200);"

** Test #2
    asdoc, text(A car is a wheeled motor vehicle used for transportation) replace save(C:\temp\Test.doc)
    ** As expected to here
    asdoc, text(Most definitions of car say they run primarily on roads, seat one) append save(C:\temp\Test.doc)
    ** Error file does not contain appended text

asdoc, text(to eight people, have four tires, and mainly transport people.) append save(C:\temp\Test.doc)
    ** Error file does not contain appended text

asdoc des, position type isnumeric format vallab save(C:\CHURP2018\Test.doc) append
    ** Error message after this line:
    *    "file C:\CHURP2018\Test.doc already exists
    *    r(602);"
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Laurence

Last edited by Laurence Lester; 18 May 2018, 01:51.

Comment

Since the table command is extremely complex to code. asdoc tries to write the output from a log file, but for that asdoc needs a fixed cell width. asdoc specifies its own cell width, which leaves no room for users to modify the cell width. Therefore, you can safely ignore the message
      Code:

note: cellwidth too small, cannot display column heading; to increase cellwidth, specify cellwidth(#)
      Regards
      --------------------------------------------------
      Attaullah Shah, PhD.
      Professor of Finance, Institute of Management Sciences Peshawar, Pakistan
      FinTechProfessor.com
      https://asdocx.com
      Check out my asdoc program, which sends outputs to MS Word.
      For more flexibility, consider using asdocx which can send Stata outputs to MS Word, Excel, LaTeX, or HTML.

Comment

Dear Laurence Lester
        All the three issues you have reported are genuine. These issues will be solved in the next update, which is expected in few weeks. Thanks for reporting these.
        Regards
        Attaullah Shah, PhD.
        FinTechProfessor.com
        For more flexibility, consider using asdocx which can send Stata outputs to MS Word, Excel, LaTeX, or HTML.

Comment

Dear prof. Shah,

Thank you very much for such usefull command. The command does not work with ttest. I get the follwing error
          asdoc ttest RR, by(LF) replace
          RR
          , sep(,)
          matrix accum not found

Also, when I use "auto" example, I also get error, although the different one.

asdoc ttest rep78==0, title(T-test results : mean == 0) stat(obs mean se df t)
          rep78==0
          command aseploc is unrecognized
          r(199);

It is unusual that I use asdoc installed command, and that it somehow read the command as aseploc?

I tried asdoc with table command and it works, both with my data and the byssin database.

Could you please give me some hints what should I do in order to use asdoc with ttest?

Best wishes,
          Aleksandra

Comment

Aleksandra: See post #7 in this thread. You need to install that separately.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Cox View Post
              Aleksandra: See post #7 in this thread. You need to install that separately.
              Dear Nick, thank you very much. It works now. I somehow skipped that post.
              Best wishes

Comment

Simply amazing. Thanks thanks thanks.

Comment

Thierry Coulibaly I appreciate your feedback.
                  Regards
                  Attaullah Shah, PhD.
                  FinTechProfessor.com

Comment

Hello

The rowappend option does not seem to be working for me.

I followed Example #53 of the helpfile. The below 2 commands work fine; I am able to open the resulting MyFile.doc and confirm that the t-test of rep78 is in that document.

sysuse auto, clear
                    asdoc ttest rep78==0, replace title(T-test results : mean == 0)
                    However, when I type the next command of the example and then try to open MyFile.doc:

asdoc ttest price==0, rowappend
                    I receive a MSWord error that states:

Word was unable to read this document. It may be corrupt.

Try one or more of the following:

* Open and Repair the file.

* Open the file with the Text Recovery converter.

What can be done about this error?

Comment

On my computer, I just checked and the commands work fine.
                      Code:
                       sysuse auto, clear
                      asdoc ttest rep78==0, replace title(T-test results : H1: mean = 0)
                      asdoc ttest price==0, rowappend
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	ttest.png
Views:	1
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	1453066

Please ensure that when asdoc command is entered, the Myfile.doc is not open. If the problem persists, please provide information on your operating system and version of Stata so that I can investigate the problem in detail.
                      Regards
                      Attaullah Shah, PhD.
                      FinTechProfessor.com

Comment

Hi Attalullah,
                        I am using the asdoc command on a ttest using the following command:

local basiccontrols dum_female_respondent
                        foreach v in `basiccontrols' `wealth' `lamps' {
                        asdoc ttest `v', by(scheme_12) l(98) save(Output\Descriptive Tables.doc) append title(Table 2: `v' ttest result: mean=0) stats(obs mean se t p )
                        }

The command works, but I am getting two p-values, which I am not sure how to interprete. I'd like to have the pvalue for Ha: diff != 0 as output.

Any help would be much appreciated!
                        Thank you,
                        Marlene

Comment

When using option by(), Stata estimates a two-sample t-test. On the other hand, asdoc still performs a one sample t-test for each category of the by variable. This behavior does not conform to what Stata does. I am already working on other suggestions, including this one as mentioned above in post #25.
                          Regards
                          Attaullah Shah, PhD.
                          FinTechProfessor.com

Comment

Prof. Shah, thank you for this elegant program. Just one very small note. I am trying to export a series of tables with descriptive statistics for subgroups of my data. The subgroup indicator variable is a string, e.g.:
                            Code:
                            asdoc sum q_1 q_2 q_3 q_4  q_10 q_11 q_14 q_15 q_16 q_18 if indicator=="A", label
                            When I run this, it returns a type mismatch error, but the command
                            Code:
                            sum q_1 q_2 q_3 q_4  q_10 q_11 q_14 q_15 q_16 q_18 if indicator=="A"
                            runs without error. I can work around it, but it's a bit of a bummer.

Best regards!

Comment

Can you post an example dataset which generates the said error?
                              Regards
                              Attaullah Shah, PhD.
                              FinTechProfessor.com

Comment

All the bugs reported in this thread have been fixed in version 2.0 of asdoc. Further, version 2.0 offers several new features which I have summarized in this Statalist post.
                                To update asdoc,
                                Code:
                                ssc install asdoc, replace
                                Regards
                                Attaullah Shah, PhD.
                                FinTechProfessor.com

Comment

Working...
                                X