Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plotting predicted probabilities and 95CIs following discrete time proportional hazards modelling

Dear all

I am looking for some advice about the best way to graphically plot a non-linear continuous predictor in a discrete time proportional hazards model. I have found Stephen Jenkins' pages on DTPH very useful, but have got to a position where I require some guidance from the community.

I am modelling the time to an outcome on the age scale (years) and wish to see if two variables (moving house in a given year, binary) and total distance moved (continuous variable) predict the outcome, having controlled for a set of covariates.

I find that a model with a cubic term for moves gives best fit to the data as follows:

Code:
    cloglog outcome discrete_age i.moved_house c.distance c.distance#c.distance c.distance#c.distance#c.distance, eform
    I assume I have set up the model correctly an specified the cubic term properly.

I have tried to use the margins command to estimate the marginal hazard but understand that this is not advisable in a proportional hazards scenario since the underlying hazards are not known. If I do so, however, I run the following

Code:
    margins, at (distance=(min(range)max))
    marginsplot, noci
    which produces the figure here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_10243.png
Views:	1
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1435489

While this gives me some visual clue as to the relationship, I am concerned it is wrong to do this, but do not know what to do instead. When 95%CIs are added to the plot, I am sure these are wrong, as I get the following:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_10244.png
Views:	1
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1435490

I presume they should get broader over greater distances because a histogram shows the vast majority of participants have very small cumulative distances, with very few over 2000km. The dataset size is 1.4m participants

I would be grateful for any advice on a correct way to visually plot this non-linear relationship between distance and outcome, with correct 95% CIs, following discrete time proportional hazards modelling.

Thanks

James
    Last edited by jameskb101; 21 Mar 2018, 08:50.

As a geographer I findsuch a distance function fairly implausible unless as a side-effect of something else in your dataset. Exponentials or inverse powers usually work better than polynomials.

Comment

Dear Nick
      Thanks for the suggestion, I will run some alternative parameterisations of the distance function. That said, should I be doing something other than margins/marginsplot to inspect the data?
      Many thanks for your time
      James

Comment

Working...
      X