Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defining programs within programs, the -runby- command, and passing functions with arguments

I am trying to pass a function through -runby-, this action is part of a larger loop in which the function in question changes at every iteration. If I am reading the documentation correctly, this is currently not possible with -runby-.

Current workout (faulty):
    Let `programA(inputA)` be the program of interest. Although we can't pass `inputA` through `programA` through -runby-, we still want to leverage runby's speed so we decide to write a program called `programA_Wrapper` that creates a function called `programA_inputA`, which is then passed through -runby- as follows:

Code:
    runby programA_inputA, by(state) verbose
    `programA_Wrapper` takes `inputA` as an argument through the standard `syntax` command.

Issue with the proposed workaround:
    I am getting an error that `programA_inputA` is not being recognized which makes me think that STATA programs can't write other programs, is that correct? Is there an alternative?

PS. I am unfamiliar with the formatting language in this forum. In standard markdown we wrap inline code with (` `), what is the equivalent here?
    Last edited by Hong-Yi Tu Ye; 17 Mar 2018, 16:48.

Minor point, you pass the name of a user-written Stata program (not a function) to runby, which will then call that program once for each by-group data subset. I think that I addressed the issue in this previous thread. If not, please post an example with representative dataset(s) and the code you got so far.

Comment

Thanks, your global macro suggestion from the other thread was exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
      X