Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In permute, how does one specify p-values from a regression model?

I would like to generate permutations of a y var and examine the resulting distribution of p-values for the beta of an x var (specifically, an interaction of two x vars).

My code so far is as follows:
    gen interxn=x1*x2, where x2 has multiple levels and I chose to use indicator variables for each term in the regression model below

permute y _b, reps(1000) : regress y x1 x2 i.interxn

This command allows me to see the resulting betas for each predictor in the model, but I would prefer instead to look at the p-values for each beta (as opposed to betas). So is there a way to specify this in the permute command or does one have to do something more complex (apologies if there's an obvious answer to this)?

If you really want to do this, you can trick Stata into doing it, but it defeats the whole purpose of using a permutation test. The whole idea behind permutation tests is to ignore the p-value from the basic analysis and to instead simulate multiple draws of data (by permuting some of the variables) and then determine as a p-value the fraction of the draws that lead to a result more extreme than the one observed in the basic analysis. The whole idea behind it is that you don't believe in the p-values from the underlying analysis. So it really makes no sense to use those p-values in the permutation test.

Nevertheless, if you must:

Code:
    permute y p_value = (Ftail(e(df_m), e(df_r), e(F))), reps(1000): regress y x1 x2 i.interxn
    will force Stata to calculate this.

By the way, your description of how you developed interaction terms is vague, so I can't be certain what' you've actually done, but it doesn't sound right to me. And if x2 is a category variable with multiple levels, it shouldn't be specified as x2 in the regression: it should be i.x2. For both of these issues, do read -help fvvarlist- for the correct use of factor variable notation in connection with discrete variables and interaction terms.

Comment

Working...
    X