No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repeated Measures Data: Treatment and Time Interaction in xtmixed command

Dear Statalist users,
    I am using Stata 14 SE. The dataset I am working on is repeated measures survey data, gathered before and after an experiment (one year after). ID is the code for each individual, and wave refers to Wave 1 and Wave 3. (There was also a wave 2 but it is not part of this dataset). The dependent variable is 'factor1_w'. The treatment variable is 'Group'. Group that received the treatment is Group==1.
    I am trying to understand if the treatment had caused a significant change on the variable titled 'factor1_w'.

I ran three xtmixed commands: one where I interact Group and the time variable (wave), and another where I limit the analysis to the Control and then the Treatment group and add 'wave' as a covariate.
    I expect the results to be the same, but they are not.
    While the interaction of time and treatment shows no significant effect, the analysis where I look at only the Treatment Group shows that 'wave' has a statistically significant negative effect, and the analysis on Control Group only shows that 'wave' does not have any significant effect.

If time (variable 'wave') has a significant effect on the dependent variable in the Treatment Group, should not it also be present in the effect of the interaction term?

I placed the sample data below, using dataex .
    The two commands and the output is also below.

Any help is appreciated.
    Regards,
    Sule

Code:
    clear
    input double ID byte wave double(Group Male NRGAgeN NRGEducN) float factor1_w
    11001 1 0 0 2 1  .7437461
    11001 3 0 0 2 1  .5075265
    11002 1 0 1 3 2  .9770322
    11002 3 0 1 3 2         .
    11003 1 0 0 3 3  1.579619
    11003 3 0 0 3 3         .
    11004 1 0 0 2 3 1.9388603
    11004 3 0 0 2 3 1.1451527
    11005 1 0 0 3 4 1.5843916
    11005 3 0 0 3 4  .9314132
    end

Code:
    xtmixed factor1_w wave##Group || ID:, var reml

xtmixed factor1_w i.wave if Group==1 || ID:, var reml
    xtmixed factor1_w i.wave if Group==0 || ID:, var reml

Originally posted by Sule Yaylaci View Post
    While the interaction of time and treatment shows no significant effect, the analysis where I look at only the Treatment Group shows that 'wave' has a statistically significant negative effect, and the analysis on Control Group only shows that 'wave' does not have any significant effect.

If time (variable 'wave') has a significant effect on the dependent variable in the Treatment Group, should not it also be present in the effect of the interaction term?
    Nope.
    Code:
    regress trunk c.weight##i.foreign
    regress trunk c.weight if foreign
    regress trunk c.weight if !foreign

Comment

Thanks for the link, Joseph. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X