Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which regression method should I use with panel data?

I am trying to run regressions to determine the effect of Financial Fair Play on the Premier League. I have panel data for 17 seasons of the Premier League, 42 clubs and 26 variables. FFP is a dummy variable taking either 1 or 0. Should I be using fixed effects? How can I determine which is the best method to use?

Also how do i test for serial correlation and heteroskedasticity with panel data in stata? Varying sources are telling me different things. How would I then resolve these issues? Will it affect whether I can used e.g. fixed effects?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe:
    welcome to this forum.
    If your dependent variable is continuous, you can go -xtreg-. If you suspect heteroskedasticity and/or autocorrelation, just invoke cluster/robust standard errors (they do the same job under -xtreg-.
    Kind regards,
    Carlo
    (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Carlo,

Thank you very much for your response! My dependent variables that I will use are all continuous. Is there no need to even test for heteroskedasticity or autocorrelation? I suspect that they will be present.

So using -xtreg-, what model will this be? A pooled model using cluster robust standard errors? Also is the correct command for this -vce(robust)-?

Many thanks,

Joe

Comment

Joe:
        you may find what follows useful: https://www.stata.com/support/faqs/s...tocorrelation/.
        -xtreg- allows you to run a panel data regression for continuous dependent variables, with -fe- or -re- specification;
        -vce(robust)- is correct.
        Kind regards,
        Carlo
        (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Carlo,

Okay that's great thank you. I have tried using the commands in that stata support page however it results in iterations being run endlessly?

How do I know if I want to be using an -fe- or -re- specification?

Kind regards,

Joe

Comment

Joe:
            I can't reply to your first question.
            As far as your second one is concerned, if you use default standard errors you can use -hausman-; for robust/clustered standard errors, type -search xtoverid- from within Stata.
            Kind regards,
            Carlo
            (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Carlo,

I have tried the Hausman method. It tells me to use random effects. For this whole method I must use default standard errors? How would I then resolve issues of heteroskedasticity/autocorrelation?

Additionally do I need to reject using OLS first before testing for whether to use FE or RE?

Many thanks again,

Joe

Comment

If you read the documentation for xtreg, fe, you'll see it automatically includes the test whether the fixed effects are zero.

Comment

It tells me to use random effects. For this whole method I must use default standard errors?
                  Not true. You can use cluster robust standard errors with random effects, too.

Comment

But I cannot run the Hausman test with -vce(robust)- [stata error: "hausman cannot be used with vce(robust)...]", so if I run the Hausman test without robust errors, and it indicates that random effects is the appropriate model, can i then use -re vce(robust)- to estimate a regression? Despite that fact that random effects was decided upon using default standard errors.
                    Last edited by Joe Tollet; 19 Feb 2018, 10:50.

Comment

you can either use pooled or random effects as the fixed effects will just ignore your dummy variable with 0 and 1 value. further use vce(cluster cluster variable name) for heteroskedasticity and auto-correlation robust std errors.

Comment

Joe:
                        as per my previous reply, yoiu can replace -hausman- with the user-written programme -xtoverid- if you plan to use robust/cluster standard errors.
                        Just type -search xtoverid- from within Stata, read the help file and install it.
                        As an aside, performing the -hausman- test with default standard errors, follow -hausman- indication and then replace the default standard errors with cluster/robust standard errors is methodologically flawed.
                        Kind regards,
                        Carlo
                        (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Carlo,

Okay thank you. Sorry for the ongoing questions!

I did try the xtoverid method however I receive the message "error - saved RE estimates are degenerate (sigma_u=0) and equivilent to pooled OLS". How should I proceed? I am still unsure how to determine whether I should use random effects, fixed effects etc.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Joe

Comment

Joe:
                            as per -xtoverid- outcome, you should go pooled OLS, with standrd errors clustered on -panelid-.
                            Kind regards,
                            Carlo
                            (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Carlo,

Thats great thanks. So that would just be simply the -xtreg- command?

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X