Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I contacted the author of the package, but the email address is no longer valid. Then I contacted Stata, and they replied as follows:
    "The author would need to make the change(s) and repost the command. We don't have that ability. From a simple search, it appears this has come up in the past. From previous responses, you can manually remove the letter B at the end of iskoisei.ado (as you've done). After that it will work."

Comment

Hallo,

I am now facing the same problem. I am using Stata version 12.1 and using data from the European Social Survey Round 6.

I want to transfer the variable "isco08" into the isei-scale and therefor i wanted to use the isko-package as well.

When i type the following syntax i get the same error as Yapeng Wang.
      Code:
      ssc install isko 

iskoisei newvar, isko(isco08) 

command B is unrecognized
      (error occurred while loading iskoisei.ado)
      I am not sure how you solved this problem.
      I copied the syntax from the ado.file into my dofile and deleted the "B" at the end of the ado.
      After this i tried the command again and got another error:

Code:
      iskoisei test, isko(isco08)
      unrecognized command:  / invalid command name
      Maybe you could explain to me how you finally solved the problem? I also contaced the author Mr. Hendrickx, who answered "Unfortunately, I don't have access to Stata anymore. Sorry I can't help".

Thanks in advance and kind regards,
      Amelie

Comment

I'm not sure what went wrong exactly.
        The advice in the thread so far has been to find the iskoisei.ado file (usually in you c:\ado\plus, delete the B there, save, and everything should be fine.
        What you do would aslo work, and I just tried copy pasting the iskoisei.ado in a do file, deleted the B, ran it, and it works fine.
        So you probably deleted a bit more, or your error is from another line in your ado file.
        Have another look at your ado file, possible with set trace on to idenitfy the line that causes the trouble

Comment

I had this problem a long time ago but i just went around it another way.

To convert ISKO into ISEI you can download the SPSS module from http://www.harryganzeboom.nl/isco08/index.htm
          You paste the syntax into excel, split it into columns (data->text into columns) using space to split it. Now you have a column with the ISKO codes and another one with the corresponding ISEI codes. All yoy have to do now is use excel to "adapt" the spss syntax to stata. Don´t forget to add codes for 9998 and 9999 if those codes where used. Also check for ISKO codes (usually coding errors) that don´t get converted to ISEI when you run the do file.

Comment

Originally posted by Amelie Nickel View Post
            Hallo,

I am now facing the same problem. I am using Stata version 12.1 and using data from the European Social Survey Round 6.

I want to transfer the variable "isco08" into the isei-scale and therefor i wanted to use the isko-package as well.

When i type the following syntax i get the same error as Yapeng Wang.
            Code:
            ssc install isko

iskoisei newvar, isko(isco08)

command B is unrecognized
            (error occurred while loading iskoisei.ado)
            I am not sure how you solved this problem.
            I copied the syntax from the ado.file into my dofile and deleted the "B" at the end of the ado.
            After this i tried the command again and got another error:

Code:
            iskoisei test, isko(isco08)
            unrecognized command: / invalid command name
            Maybe you could explain to me how you finally solved the problem? I also contaced the author Mr. Hendrickx, who answered "Unfortunately, I don't have access to Stata anymore. Sorry I can't help".

Thanks in advance and kind regards,
            Amelie
            Hi, I simply copy all the codes from the ado file, and run it in my do file. Hope it helps. Sorry for the late reply.

Comment

I think that this command: https://github.com/dirtyhawk/stata-derivescores supersedes the old isko commands, by the way.

Go

Comment

Originally posted by Gobinda Natak View Post
                I think that this command: https://github.com/dirtyhawk/stata-derivescores supersedes the old isko commands, by the way.

Go
                Hi Gobinda, thanks for sharing it.

Comment

To anyone who finds this topic, the iscogen package, written by Ben Jann and released today through SSC, has the capabilities provided by the isco and isko packages, and much more. For more detalis, see the output of

Code:
                  ssc describe iscogen

Comment

Working...
                  X