Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to label a scalar or global variable?

Is it possible to label a scalar or global variable?

For example, in the code below, I would like to label Hx as "High X" and Lx as "Low X". Is there a way to do so in Stata 14?

Code:
    sum x
    global Hx=r(mean)+r(sd)
    scalar Lx=r(mean)+r(sd)

As far as I know, you cannot attach labels to scalars or global macros (nor local macros, for that matter). Only variables can be labeled.

By the way, I will just add my customary caution that the use of global macros is an inherently unsafe programming practice and should be used only when there is absolutely no alternative. While I cannot see the entire programming context in which you are working, storing some results from a previous command would usually be best done with either a scalar or a local macro. There are very few circumstances in which local macros will not serve the purpose, and those are safe. (-scalars- are semi-safe. If you give your scalar a name that matches the name of a variable in your data, you can end up producing bugs that are difficult to spot and fix. But at least you can see what variable names you need to avoid. -global-s, on the other hand, are dangerous because you have to avoid clashing with any other global macro in any other program that might happen to be running--and you don't know in advance what those are.)

Comment

Clyde's right. You can't do this. You just use display alongside to say what you want.

For related discussion of terminology see e.g. https://www.stata.com/statalist/arch.../msg01258.html

Comment

Thanks Clyde and Nick! Much clearer now

Comment

In addition, if one need such structure (num scalar + description),one might use a matrix with one element and assign row/colnames.
          Code:
          matrix Hx=r(mean)+r(sd)
          matrix rownames Hx = "High X"
          matrix colnames Hx = "Some other info up to 32 chars"

help matrix
          help matmacfunc
          help el()

Comment

thanks, bjart, your post provided me a new way to do what i wanted!

Comment

Working...
            X