Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is join.ado?

I was starting to install Sergio Correa's -ftools- package. But I was given a warning that the file join.ado already exists and is different. Sure enough:
    Code:
    . which join
    c:\ado\plus\j\join.ado
    *! version 2.10.0 3apr2017
    It has no help file. Looking at the style and formatting of the code, it's definitely not something I wrote and forgot about. It has no by-line. I wrote a quick program to read all the .ado files in c:/ado/plus and scan them for the occurrence of the character sequence "join." That turned up a small number of files, including outreg.ado, joinby.ado, reghdfe.ado. But, reviewing their source code, none of them appear to call a program called -join-.

Does anybody know what this join.ado file might be? I am tempted to just let SSC overwrite it and force-install ftools, but I don't want to break something that I use that might depend on it. Any ideas? Anybody recognize this?

Added: -findit join- turns up a long list of "hits," but none of them actually refer to a join.ado file as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Clyde Schechter; 09 Feb 2018, 22:10.

Dear Clyde, I can not answer your question but may provide some information (useful or useless). I have installed ftools. According to the felp file
    Code:
    Description

The Factor object is a key component of several commands that manipulate data without having to sort it
        beforehand:

- fcollapse (alternative to collapse, contract, collapse+merge and some egen functions)
            - fegen group
            - fisid
            - join and fmerge (alternative to m:1 and 1:1 merges)
            - flevelsof plug-in alternative to levelsof
            - fsort (note: this is O(N) but with a high constant term)
            - freshape
    As such, join (and its wrapper fmerge) replacing merge.
    Moreover, -which join- command offered the following message
    Code:
    . which join
    c:\ado\plus\j\join.ado
    *! version 2.24.0 11jan2018
    Ho-Chuan (River) Huang
    Stata 17.0, MP(4)

Comment

I have no such file in my Stata 15.1. Don't even have a folder j in my ado\plus.
      So not sure where you got your join. You put it there yourself most likely, though.

edit: sorry, this is probably quite irrelevant/already understood. Still only halfway through my first coffee of the day.
      Last edited by Jorrit Gosens; 10 Feb 2018, 01:59.

Comment

Could it be al older version of Sergio's join.ado? In an april 4th commit it shows version 2.10.0 dated 3apr2017 (https://github.com/sergiocorreia/fto...b8db390eb77b53)

Comment

Thanks for these replies. I think Mauricio and River have it right--this is probably an earlier version of join.ado from -ftools-. Indeed, that code shown at the github link in #4 is just like the code in my join.ado.

I really have no idea how it got there--I never installed -ftools- before! But somehow I must have done that. Perhaps when I installed -rangejoin-, initially mistyped the command name or something like that.

Anyway, based on these responses, I feel confident that I won't break anything by over-writing this file and force-installing -ftools-.

Many thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X