Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking assumptions using complex samples

Hello. I am working on a project running an ANCOVA using complex samples. I am afraid my data violate the normality and homogeneity of variance assumption. Are there any recommendations on how to check assumptions using complex samples?

Sarah:
    welcome to the list.
    This kind of question are at risk of being left unreplied, due to a substantive lack of details,
    Please, take a look at the FAQ on how to post (more) effectively. Thanks.
    Kind regards,
    Carlo
    (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

And, please, tell us about the study design. Was the sampling was planned with this analysis in mind, perhaps by over-sampling one of the comparison?
      Steve Samuels
      Statistical Consulting
      [email protected]

Stata 14.2

Comment

Non-normality and heterogeneity do not matter for survey analyses. Survey standard errors are based on between PSU variation and are robust to distributional assumptions. What is important is specifying a good model, e.g.assessing the need non-linear predictors or interactions.

I asked about the sampling design because there is disagreement among sampling experts about whether sampling weights are needed for causal analyses. If you have oversampled one subgroup to ensure equal numbers for an ANCOVA, then I would notweight. Otherwise, I suggest that you compare weighted and unweighted versions to see if it matters.
        Steve Samuels
        Statistical Consulting
        [email protected]

Stata 14.2

Comment

Working...
        X