No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errors with mi reshape long after mi reshape wide

Hi there,

I'm trying to run a multivariate multiple imputation on a panel dataset that was originally in long format. I'm following the instructions found here: https://www.stata.com/support/faqs/s...and-mi-impute/. I understand I need to reshape to long format to perform the imputations, and then convert back to long. I can get as far as running the imputations, but have struck some errors upon trying to return to long format, to run a -mixed- model.

These errors are:

stubs may not be of the form _#_name
    specify the names without the _#_ prefix

and

variable time0 contains all missing values

I'm not sure what the bug is, or how to fix it. Can anyone suggest a solution?

My code is below. It was difficult to find an example dataset that approximated mine.

Many thanks,

Steve

* ### Step 3: Reshape the dataset from long to wide.

* &&& Sub-step a: Define a global varlist for all time-varying vars in the stacked panel dataset. The nominated 'time' variable will be dropped by reshape.

global xlist studentmasterid nsnid time year_level /*token id_token time0 school school_123 school_123_bird year_level_same sex ethnicity*/ maths_overall asTTle_natl_maths_mean0 asTTle_cluster_maths_mean0 asTTle_natl_maths_mean asTTle_cluster_maths_mean reading_overall asTTle_natl_reading_mean0 asTTle_cluster_reading_mean0 asTTle_natl_reading_mean asTTle_cluster_reading_mean mms_scale mms_natl_mean0 mms_natl_mean rm_scale rm_natl_mean0 rm_natl_mean

* &&& Sub-step b: Give each var in variable list a '_' suffix, to create period tags (_0, _1, _2, etc), for ease of transforming data from long to wide and back.

rename ($xlist) (=_) //, dryrun

* &&& Sub-step c: Define a new global variable list for the renamed vars.

global ylist studentmasterid_ nsnid_ time_ year_level_ /*token id_token time0 school school_123 school_123_bird year_level_same sex ethnicity*/ maths_overall_ asTTle_natl_maths_mean0_ asTTle_cluster_maths_mean0_ asTTle_natl_maths_mean_ asTTle_cluster_maths_mean_ reading_overall_ asTTle_natl_reading_mean0_ asTTle_cluster_reading_mean0_ asTTle_natl_reading_mean_ asTTle_cluster_reading_mean_ mms_scale_ mms_natl_mean0_ mms_natl_mean_ rm_scale_ rm_natl_mean0_ rm_natl_mean_

* &&&& Sub-step d: Set variable abbreviations off, as a precaution, to prevent ambiguous var. name abbreviations from stopping the transformation.
    * Then run the reshape wide command, and turn abbreviations back on.

set varabbrev off

reshape wide $ylist, i(token id_token) j(time0)

set varabbrev on

* 1. Set data as mi.

mi set wide

* 2. MI using multivariate normal distribution (MVN)

* a. Imputation phase
    * -------------------

* After the data is mi set, Stata requires 3 additional commands. The first is mi register imputed. This command identifies which variables in the imputation model have missing information.

mi register imputed maths_overall_0 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_2 /*mms_scale_0 mms_scale_1 mms_scale_2 Auxilary var.*/

* The second command is mi impute mvn where the user specifies the imputation model to be used and the number of imputed datasets to be created.

mi xtset, clear // Clear any previous time-series settings that are old or no-longer-valid.

mi impute mvn maths_overall_0 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_2 /*mms_scale Auxilary var.*/ = sex ethnicity, add(20) rseed (53421) /*savewlf(Worst_L_Fn_Maths)*/

* But to use mi estimate: mixed, we need to reshape our data back to long form. NB. I removed the stub names _#_ from the imputed maths_overall variables, after I received the first error about the format of stub names..

mi reshape long studentmasterid_0 nsnid_0 maths_overall_0 asTTle_natl_maths_mean0_0 asTTle_cluster_maths_mean0_0 asTTle_natl_maths_mean_0 asTTle_cluster_maths_mean_0 reading_overall_0 asTTle_natl_reading_mean0_0 asTTle_cluster_reading_mean0_0 asTTle_natl_reading_mean_0 asTTle_cluster_reading_mean_0 mms_scale_0 mms_natl_mean0_0 mms_natl_mean_0 rm_scale_0 rm_natl_mean0_0 rm_natl_mean_0 studentmasterid_1 nsnid_1 time_1 year_level_1 maths_overall_1 asTTle_natl_maths_mean0_1 asTTle_cluster_maths_mean0_1 asTTle_natl_maths_mean_1 asTTle_cluster_maths_mean_1 reading_overall_1 asTTle_natl_reading_mean0_1 asTTle_cluster_reading_mean0_1 asTTle_natl_reading_mean_1 asTTle_cluster_reading_mean_1 mms_scale_1 mms_natl_mean0_1 mms_natl_mean_1 rm_scale_1 rm_natl_mean0_1 rm_natl_mean_1 studentmasterid_2 nsnid_2 time_2 year_level_2 maths_overall_2 asTTle_natl_maths_mean0_2 asTTle_cluster_maths_mean0_2 asTTle_natl_maths_mean_2 asTTle_cluster_maths_mean_2 reading_overall_2 asTTle_natl_reading_mean0_2 asTTle_cluster_reading_mean0_2 asTTle_natl_reading_mean_2 asTTle_cluster_reading_mean_2 mms_scale_2 mms_natl_mean0_2 mms_natl_mean_2 rm_scale_2 rm_natl_mean0_2 rm_natl_mean_2 school school_123 school_123_bird year_level_same sex ethnicity mi_miss maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_0 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_1 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2 maths_overall_2, i(token id_token) j(time0)

I managed to solve this problem. The main issue was to create stubs for each regular variable. The imputed ones don't need to be included. Registering what kind of mi variables each are can also help. Cheers, Steve

Comment

Working...
    X