No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report standardized beta coefficients in stepwise hierarchical regression

Dear All,

I am running different regression analyses including a hierarchical regression with an interaction term. I am currently trying to find a way how to report the standardized beta coefficients in such regressions.

I used this command, but Stata seems to ignore the beta option for it showed neither the beta coefficient nor an error message:

Code:
    stepwise, pe (.20) hierarchical: reg y x1 x2 (x3 x4) (x3*x4), beta
    Is there a possibility to report the standardized beta coefficients in hierarchical regressions?
    And if so, is there a way to use the estout command or something similar for those stepwise regressions?

Thanks in advance!

If this command runs, you could use
    Code:
    stdBeta
    as a postestimation command, see
    Code:
    findit stdBeta

Can you provide a working example? When I try
    Code:
    stepwise, pe(.2) hier: regress mpg weight (displ price) (disp#price)
    I get the error message that interactions are not allowed.

I think your best bet is to first standardize your variables, second form the interaction terms, then third perform your hierarchical regression.
    Doug Hemken
    SSCC, Univ. of Wisc.-Madison

Comment

Thanks Doug Hemken! I will try it this way.
      Unfortunately I was not able to install the package in Stata, the file could not be found/opened. Is there another way to install it?

True the interaction term like that
      Code:
      x1#x2
      is not allowed - I formed the term manually before performing the regression and then it works.

Another problem I encountered is that when creating a regression table with the estab command like that:
      Code:
      eststo model3: quietly reg y1 x1 x2 x3 x4 c.x3#c.x4, beta
      esttab model3, beta b(a3) star(* 0.05 ** 0.01 *** 0.001) r2(3) ar2(3) scalars(F) nogaps
      there is a gap in the column for the beta coefficient of the interaction term. This error only happens in that combination. When running the regression command without estout
      Code:
      reg y1 x1 x2 x3 x4 c.x3#c.x4, beta
      the beta of the interaction term is indicated. And when running the same command without beta the unstandardized coefficient of the interaction term is also given.
      Code:
      eststo model3: quietly reg y1 x1 x2 x3 x4 c.x3#c.x4
      esttab model3, b(a3) star(* 0.05 ** 0.01 *** 0.001) r2(3) ar2(3) scalars(F) nogaps
      Do you maybe know how to solve this problem?

Comment

While
        Code:
        regress, beta
        reports coefficients, notice that these are standardized term by term, not variable by variable. This makes it problematic to interpret the standardized model as is, when there are interaction terms. I would guess this is why Jann has limited the usefulness of
        Code:
        esttab, beta
        to models with only first-order terms.

The work-around is to first standardize your variables, then form interaction terms, then re-estimate your final model. (Term by term standardization reverses the first two steps.)

Although I previously suggested redoing the hierarchical procedure, you would NOT really want to do this: you would be testing substantively different first order coefficients. Just re-estimate the final model.

Code:
        stdBeta
        appears to be broken on the SSC archive website. You could instead
        Code:
        net from http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/~hemken/Stataworkshops
        Doug Hemken
        SSCC, Univ. of Wisc.-Madison

Comment

Thanks a lot Doug Hemken , that reallly helped and it works now!

Comment

Working...
          X