Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcing table1_mc: Stata module to create "Table 1" of baseline characteristics for a manuscript

Dear Statalisters,

I have just posted my program table1_mc on SSC (requires version 14.2). This program is essentially an extension of Phil Clayton’s table1 command.

. sysuse auto, clear
    (1978 Automobile Data)

. generate much_headroom = (headroom>3)

. table1_mc, by(foreign) vars(price conts \ price contln %5.0f %4.2f \ weight contn %5.0f \ rep78 cate \ much_headroom bine)

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Level Domestic Foreign p-value |
    |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    | N=52 N=22 |
    |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    | Price 4,782.5 (4,184-6,234) 5,759 (4,499-7,140) 0.30 |
    | Price 5534 (×/1.50) 5959 (×/1.44) 0.46 |
    | Weight (lbs.) 3317 (695) 2316 (433) <0.001 |
    | Repair Record 1978 1 2 ( 4%) 0 ( 0%) <0.001 |
    | 2 8 (17%) 0 ( 0%) |
    | 3 27 (56%) 3 (14%) |
    | 4 9 (19%) 9 (43%) |
    | 5 2 ( 4%) 9 (43%) |
    | much_headroom 28 (54%) 2 ( 9%) <0.001 |
    +------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Data are presented as mean (SD) or geometric mean (×/GSD) or median (IQR) for continuous measures, and frequency (percentage) for categorical measures.

Feedback welcome.

Best wishes, Mark
    Last edited by Mark Chatfield; 02 Jun 2017, 01:17.

Of course, the output does in reality look much nicer than that in my first post...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	output for Statalist.png
Views:	1
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1399400

Comment

Hi Mark- looks great! Any plans for adding support for the -svy- prefix, as it's a lapse for all the options?
      __________________________________________________ __
      Assistant Professor, Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology
      School of Public Health and Health Sciences
      University of Massachusetts- Amherst

Comment

Hi Mark,

I have looked the code and tried to add option table(before|after) is not working. I think this option is not implemented. In addition it should be helpful if the each factors N (denominator) will be added in the same table after each variable instead of a separate table.

Comment

Is there a way to use this command or the older Table1 command on survey data (e.g. with the svy command) We desperately need that

Comment

Hi Ruth, fweights are allowed ... which would only help with the simplest survey data. That's all I'm afraid.

Comment

of the various use-written commands in this area, I believe that only -meantab- accepts pweights; whether it also does everything else you want, I'm not sure; use -search- to find and download

Comment

Thanks Mark, I have a couple more follow up questions:

1. What are the differences/advantages of using the table1_mc command/option over the older table1 command? and

2. Is there a way using either command to stratify by more than one variable e.g. when using: by(varname) and not by(var1 var2). For example, I used the following code to stratify by immigrant status:

table1, by (immig_status) vars(age contn \ sex bin \ marital_stat cat \ race cat \ education cat \ income cat \) onecol

However, I would like to stratify by both immigrant status and sex. (see table below) What would be the best way to go about this? Any suggestions for/modifications to the above code to be able to do this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 1.16.53 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1436624

Comment

Hi Ruth
                  1. table1_mc is an extension and improvement on table1. For more, type . viewsource table1_mc.ado
                  2. You would need to use either command twice.

Comment

Thank you. For number 2, I just did the following:

table1_mc if immig_status==1, by (sex) vars(age contn \ marital_stat cat \ race cat \ education cat \ income cat \) onecol
                    table1_mc if immig_status==0, by (sex) vars(age contn \ marital_stat cat \ race cat \ education cat \ income cat \) onecol

These gave me two different tables which were exported into excel and I then manually filled the table above by copying and pasting side by side into one excel sheet to look like the sample table above.

Comment

I have just become aware of the user written -tabxml- command, which can deal with survey data.

net install sg100, from(http://www.stata.com/stb/stb47)
                      *to avoid matsum error message

net install tabxml.pkg

Comment

Thanks Mark, Sorry about the super late reply on this, I thought I replied. The tabxml worked great for me.

Comment

Hi Mark

Can this command be used to compare three groups or only two. For example, if I have three groups and I compare means between them, is the program running a ttest or anova. I believe the program accurately runs an anova but I just wanted to be sure.

Steven

Comment

Hi Steven,

I know of comparing three groups. I believe you can use the
                            Code:
                            split(varname)
                            option to do that...(I don't get a p-value for comparing two groups if that helps) If anyone has been able to figure out how to get the significance levels for that, it would be nice, otherwise, I use the option:
                            Code:
                            display
                            to get the p-values in the display window and manually enter them in your table. Hope this helps

Comment

On another note, I am using tabxml in Stata 14.2 and trying to do another Table 1 by sex. When using variations of this code:

Code:
                               tabxml, ivc(age_p) ivd(sex_r married racreci3 edu_cat poor2 emp_stat notcov usupl) order(age_p sex_r racreci3 married edu_cat poor2 emp_stat notcov usupl) save("/location_filename_$datentime") split(sex_r) options(n per) display bold justify(c) pval sp
                              I keep getting errors such as: "invalid subpop() option" when I try using the subcond option. I also get this error:

Code:
                              Table contains a zero in the marginals.
                                Statistics cannot be computed.
                              conformability error
                              r(503);
                              when I use this code:

Code:
                               tabxml, ivc(age_p) ivd(sex_r married racreci3 edu_cat poor2 emp_stat notcov usupl) order(age_p sex_r racreci3 married edu_cat poor2 emp_stat notcov usupl) save("/location_filename_$datentime") split(sex_r) options(n per) display bold justify(c) pval sp
                              What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Working...
                              X