Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field trip for a statistics class

A high school statistics teacher I know, located in Orange County, California, would like to take her class on a field trip to see statistics being applied in the real (i.e. non-academic) world. Does anyone on the forum know of a place where there is a reasonable size group of working statisticians, located in Orange County or the southern part of Los Angeles County, that might be amenable to such a visit?

Thanks.

I visited the Gallup offices in Omaha once, which was fairly interesting. I see they have an office in Irvine: Los Angeles (Irvine), California

18300 Von Karman Ave.
    Suite 1000
    10th Floor
    Irvine, CA 92612
    tel: +1.949.474.7900
    fax: +1.949.474.5963
    -------------------------------------------
    Richard Williams, Notre Dame Dept of Sociology
    Stata Version: 17.0 MP (2 processor)

EMAIL: [email protected]
    WWW: https://www3.nd.edu/~rwilliam

Comment

Thanks, Richard. I'll pass that along.

Comment

Also RAND has an L.A. area office, not sure how amenable they would be.

Comment

On the lighter side: What if they took the 4 hour road trip to Las Vegas? I would presume that statisticians there are a pretty happy lot, since they get to play with the house's money.

Comment

Davis Demographics might have a place nearby. They do a lot of population projections for school districts. If they've experienced any changes in school attendance zones lately it would at least give them a lot of insight into why those boundaries change over time.

Comment

Thanks Leah, Mike, and William. I will be passing these ideas a long as well. (I think LasVegas is too far away for the purpose, and I don't think minors are allowed in the gambling areas, but, it can't hurt to find out.)

Comment

Working...
              X