Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convergence not achieved???

I have used modified Poisson regression models with robust error variance to estimate the prevalence ratio (PR) and to determine which demographic factors were associated with exposure to fish.

The prevalence of exposure to fish among the people who completed to survey is low, e.g. 2% of the respondents are exposed to fish. This data from a cross-sectional based study.
    I have run the following command:

glm b04fish_new i.gender i.edugrp ib12.occgrp , fam(poisson) link(log) nolog vce(robust) eform

In the results it indicate that “convergence not achieved” and this only happen when I add “occgroup” variable to the model, which is a catergorical variable having 27 catogries that represent the job held by the respondents.

I am using stata14

Any suggestion on how to fix this. Thanks.
    Last edited by Sonia Zam; 28 Feb 2017, 07:30.

Sonia:
    have you tried running regression after regrouping -occgrp- levels in wider categories?
    Kind regards,
    Carlo
    (StataNow 18.5)

Comment

I can’t regroup because each category represents a specific occupational group that have similar job tasks. thanks

Comment

Sonia:
        far from me any intent to insist but (say) -food_prep- and -food_service- are really so different?
        Kind regards,
        Carlo
        (StataNow 18.5)

Comment

I would start with looking at tab occgrp. I suspect that many of the categories just contain too few observations. In that case you just have no choice but to do what Carlo told you (or just leave occupation out of your model).
          ---------------------------------
          Maarten L. Buis
          University of Konstanz
          Department of history and sociology
          box 40
          78457 Konstanz
          Germany
          http://www.maartenbuis.nl
          ---------------------------------

Comment

Dear Sonia,

As Carlo and Maarten suggested, the likely cause of the problem is the combination of a dependent variable with many zeros with a set of dummies with few ones; if any of the dummies is 1 only when the dependent variable is 0, the maximum likelihood estimator does not exist. You can try to estimate the model using -ppml- (avaialble form SSC), which deals with that problem; check the help file for more information and references on this problem.

Best wishes,

Joao

Comment

Thank you all for your help and your comments are very useful.

Comment

Hi all
                I am running a poisson model using control function on STATA where the dependent variable is number of food groups against two endogenous variables.
                Can I interpret the immediate results? or Do I need to go for the margins? In addition, how do I get information like F - test and R2, in ivpoisson cfunction?

Thank you

Comment

Thomas:
                  welcome to this forum.
                  As per FAQ., please start a new thread. Thanks.
                  Kind regards,
                  Carlo
                  (StataNow 18.5)

Comment

Dear Sonia
                    I also had the issue. when I added the number of independent variables after poison it will work

glm b04fish_new i.gender i.edugrp ib12.occgrp , fam(poison n(3)) link(log) nolog vce(robust) reform

regards

Comment

Working...
                    X