• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to open a new stata dataset version

Dear Experts,

I tried to open a stata dile. What I got is the following message:

Code:
    dta too modern
        File D:\1.dta is from a more recent version of Stata.  Type update query
        to determine whether a free update of Stata is available, and browse 
        http://www.stata.com/ to determine if a new version is available.
    r(610);
    I use stata 13 version. Then I tried to open a file with stata 14 version, but still got the same mistake. Is there a way/command with which I can open the stata file?

Best regards,
    Alberto

Type the following on the command window and press enter (on your STATA 13):

update​​​​ all

You must be connected to the internet before doing this.
    Usually, data from earlier versions of STATA do open on STATA 14... Let me know if it works.

Comment

I wonder if the file is corrupted. Stata 15 is not out yet.

If the file isn't corrupt and you are willing and able to install R, try installing it, and getting the haven package:

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/haven/haven.pdf

This package can read and write Stata files up to version 14. I believe the code would be:

Code:

install.packages("haven")  library(haven) dat <- read_dta("D:\1.dta") write_dta(dat, "D:\1_v13.dta", version = 13)
      Not absolutely certain about the code, especially the last line, but it might do the trick.
      Be aware that it can be very hard to answer a question without sample data. You can use the dataex command for this. Type help dataex at the command line.

When presenting code or results, please use the code delimiters format them. Use the # button on the formatting toolbar, between the " (double quote) and <> buttons.

Comment

I have exactly same problem. Any idea how to open a file using Stata 13? I got the message that "file is from a more recent version of Stata".

Comment

One solution is for the supplier of the file to use saveold or to produce a different version (e.g. text file) of the data that you can read.

Comment

Working...
          X