No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom labels in bar graph

Hi all,

I am trying to add custom labels to a bar graph. Currently, the labels are simply the variable labels:

graph bar (mean) EXP, over(MONTH) blabel(name, pos(outside))

What I want to do is change the labels above each bar to equal the observation count by MONTH. So, if there are 150 values of EXP being averaged in MONTH == 1, the bar label would be "150" in MONTH == 1. As months increase, my observations diminish. I would like the labels to reflect that.

I have already generated a variable (MO_N) with the monthly observation counts. For context, I have 24 months in the graph. I need to automate the process, as I will be looping over hundreds of values for a different variable.

Your help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi William,

Welcome to Statalist.

This is not possible with blabel() on graph bars, as i'm sure you've already discovered by looking at the help file for graph bar. Instead, I suggest you collapse your data, add in some kind of sequential id (gen seqid = _n), and then use twoway bar to make your plots. You can then overlay a twoway scatter, and as options set the marker symbol to nothing (mysym(i)), and add the count within each value of your variable as the mlabel().

If you're able to provide a snippet of your data I can probably put together some code. I wouldn't want to try without seeing your data though, as I could be sending you down a dead end! If you do share some data, please use dataex (ssc install dataex).

Chris

Comment

Chris,

Thank you for the suggestion. It worked brilliantly! The core pieces of the code are below:

twoway (bar EXP MONTH) (scatter EXP MONTH, m(i) mlabel(N) mlabposition(12))

And the resulting graph, with some labels suppressed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	824.png
Views:	1
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	1372585

Will

Comment

See also tabplot (SJ). http://www.statalist.org/forums/foru...updated-on-ssc

tabplot always puts the numbers underneath the bars. If you don't like that, no problem, as you know how to do it otherwise.

Comment

Looks nice. I think you probably want to add bgcol(white) in addition to your graphregion(col(white)). It'll get rid of that faint blue line you have around the graph region - unless, of course, you want to keep it

Comment

Working...
          X