No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to write mathematical formulae in a Statalist post

Hi all,

I'm just wondering whether the Stata forum supports any types of mathematical formulae editors, or formulae must be posted as pictures?
    (I've read FAQ but didn't not found an answer. Hope I didn't miss any relevant instruction.)

Thanks.

Kirin

To the best of my knowledge, there is no included capability for creating and displaying complex mathematical formulae.

On the Statalist FAQ page, click Forum Software FAQ in the left column, then click BBCode Reference.

Comment

Simple LaTeX should work

\[
      \beta = (X^\prime X)^{(-1)}X^\prime y
      \]

The Sandbox is the place to try out what you want.

Best
      Daniel

Comment

It does but you have to start the expression with escaped brackets (instead of a $ like in a lot of latex environments), so this:

Code:
         \[ \frac{2}{3}+ \mathbf{\pi} \]
        produces this equation:
        \[ \frac{2}{3}+ \mathbf{\pi} \]
        (it doesnt show in the 'preview' mode (for me at least) I have to refresh the page to get it to show up).

n.b., you can also use the advanced editor button when posting to produce text with subscripts and superscripts and you can directly add ascii symbols like ∂ ∑ ∏ x+y(π ) ∫ ª º Ω. without using any tagging feature. There are also browser plug-ins you can use to change markdown/latex/etc code to equations (e.g., markdown here, mathjax).
        Last edited by eric_a_booth; 15 Jan 2017, 13:19.
        Eric A. Booth | Senior Director of Research | Far Harbor | Austin TX

Comment

Hi all,

Thank you very much for answering my question.

Kirin

Comment

Working...
          X