No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• csv import loop error

Hi there,

I am trying to import 75 csv files each containing daily company data for 18 months, when I run the script I get an error message saying "using required". Any help would be appreciated, here is the script:

. global MY_PATH "C:\Users\pmauder\Work Folders\Documents"

. local files : dir "$MY_PATH\csv" files "*.csv"

. cd "$MY_PATH\csv"
    C:\Users\patrick\Work Folders\Documents\csv

. foreach file in `files' {
    2. import delimited `file', clear
    3. gen security_id = upper(substr("`file'",1,3))
    4. gen date_new = date(date, "YMD")
    5. replace date_new = date(date,"DMY") if date_new==.
    6. replace date_new = date(date,"MDY") if date_new==.
    7. format date_new %td
    8. drop date
    9. rename date_new date
    10. recast float px_open
    11. recast float px_high
    12. recast float px_low
    13. recast float px_last
    14. rename px_open open
    15. rename px_high high
    16. rename px_low low
    17. rename px_last close
    18. keep security_id date open high low close
    19. drop if date < date("20160601","YMD")
    20. save temp, replace
    21. use "$MY_PATH\csv\security_returns_file", clear
    22. append using temp
    23. save, replace
    24. }
    using required
    r(100);

Thanks,

Patrick

Stata/MP 14.2

The following
    Code:
    . import delimited, clear
    using required
    r(100);
    suggests to me that the local macro file in the import delimited command is not being set correctly, so that the command being executed after macro substitution lacks a filename.

The first step to debugging this is to use trace (see help trace) to see what your commands look like after macro substitution is done.

Comment

I would try separating the import + save loop from the append loop.

So, something like the below should work. NB: i have not tried this in Stata so it may be a bit buggy

Code:
      global MY_PATH "C:\Users\pmauder\Work Folders\Documents"

local files : dir "$MY_PATH\csv" files "*.csv"
      cd "$MY_PATH\csv"

foreach file in `files' {
      import delimited `file', clear gen security_id = upper(substr("`file'",1,3)) gen date_new = date(date, "YMD") replace date_new = date(date,"DMY") if date_new==. replace date_new = date(date,"MDY") if date_new==. format date_new %td drop date rename date_new date recast float px_open recast float px_high recast float px_low recast float px_last rename px_open open //not sure if you care, but --rename-- accepts varlist, not just varname rename px_high high rename px_low low rename px_last close keep security_id date open high low close drop if date < date("20160601","YMD") save "`file'".dta, replace
      } use "$MY_PATH\csv\DatasetN", clear //use the last dataset listed when you call the local files. Try displaying them within the loop local files : dir "$MY_PATH\csv" files "*.dta" foreach file in `files' {
      if "`file'"!="DatasetN"{ append using `file' save, replace } }
      I'm sure there are better ways to do this too - good luck!
      Last edited by Chris Larkin; 03 Jan 2017, 19:12.

Comment

Hello Patrick "GC",

Please act on the advice given here (http://www.statalist.org/forums/foru...mand-delimited). Particularly, message #8.

Thanks.
        Best regards,

Marcos

Comment

Thank you everyone, your help is really appreciated!!!

Comment

Patrick -

From the Statalist FAQ linked to from the top of the page,

16. Should I close threads I start?

Closing a thread you started is important, especially by reporting what solved your problem. You can then thank those who tried to help.
            It would be helpful to us, and to later readers who find this thread by searching Statalist for help with a similar problem they are having, to know what the solution was.

Comment

Hi So I tried to run the scripts and i still get the same error message. I have done the csv data merge manually now and am trying to run eventstudy2. I have saved the security_returns_file, marketfile and eventfile into the working directory, yet somehow it seems not to find a variable which is in the marketfile (called marketref).

Sorry to keep asking questions which are most likely due to me not understanding stata enough.

Patrick Mauder

Here is what I get:

. eventstudy2 security_id date using security_returns_file, returns(return) mode
              > l(FM) marketfile(marketfile) mar(market) idmar(marketref) factor1(smb) factor2
              > (hml) risk(rf)
              Generating dateline ...
              ...succeeded
              Preparation of event list ...
              ...succeeded
              Preparation of security return data...
              ...succeeded
              Preparation of market and/or factor return data...
              ...succeeded
              variable marketref not found
              You specified the keep(varlist) option. The above error was the result of
              parsing the list of variables you supplied against the using data.
              r(111);

Comment

What's eventstudy2? Try
                Code:
                use marketfile, clear
                describe marketref
                // or maybe
                isid marketref

Comment

eventstudy2 is written to calculate abnormal returns using various methods, I have the raw shareprice in one file and risk free rate, event windows in seperate files and that formula is basically extracting the data it needs to do the calculation, it was recommended by a friend
                  somehow the sript works on her machine but just not on mine

Comment

Do you realize that readers who know something about eventstudy2 will not necessarily be looking at a topic titled "csv loop error"? When you have a new question you should start a new topic with an appropriate subject.

Do review the Statalist FAQ linked to from the top of the page, as well as from the Advice on Posting link on the page you used to create your post. Note especially sections 9-12 on how to best pose your question. The more you help others understand your problem, the more likely others are to be able to help you solve your problem.

Also, please take the time to click "Contact Us" in the lower right corner below and request your registration name be changed to include the surname you shared in #7 above.

And, with all that said, perhaps the reason you were not able to get the script in #1 to run successfully is that while you had the entire script in your do-file editor window, you selected the first three commands and ran them separately, then selected the loop and ran it. That will not work. If you look carefully at your results window, you'll see that each group of selected lines are copied into a temporary do-file and run, so even though all the commands are in the same window in the do-file editor, they are run as separate do-files. And local variables vanish at the conclusion of the do-file within which they are created, so `files' will not exist when the loop is run, which leads to the error you received.

Comment

Thanks William, I will work on my forum questions and get my name changed.

Comment

Hi there,

I managed to get the loop to work. I learnt my lesson as the key reason was that we had not saved the do file after making changes and only notice that when going through it step by step.

Thanks for your help and I would appreciate if you could tell me how to close a topic?

Kind Regards,

Patrick

Comment

Closing a topic here means reporting on solutions, so you just did that. But no-one owns a thread, not even the person who started it, so it's also true that all threads remain open indefinitely in case someone wants to add more.

Comment

Working...
                          X