No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marginal effects from clogit model estimation

Hi,

I want to know that is there any way to get the marginal effects after running a clogit model/ fixed effects logit model? If not, then are odd ratios the best way to interpret the coefficients?

Thanks

Dear Shayan,

This presentation may help.

Best wishes,

Joao

Comment

If you are using current Stata, or even one or two versions back, the -margins- command with the -dydx()- option will do this. See -help margins- for details.

As for whether marginal effects or odds ratios are better, that really depends on your audience, their expectations, and their level of understanding.

Comment

Sorry, Clyde, but using -margins- after estimating a logit with FE is generally inappropriate; that is the point made in the presentation I suggested.

Best wishes,

Joao

Comment

Joao,

Your post in #2 did not show up when I wrote mine. That's an interesting presentation and the illustration of the problem is quite convincing; I was not aware of that. I see in your penultimate slide you propose that -margins- should be disabled after -xtlogit, fe- and -xtpoisson, fe-. I wonder why Stata has not taken that advice: they're usually pretty good about things like that.

Be that as it may, thanks for pointing that out.

Clyde

Comment

Thanks, Clyde. Hopefully Stata will look into that soon.

Best wishes,

Joao

Comment

Thanks Joao. The presentation has confirmed my doubts about using marginal effects for models employing fixed effects using logit model.

Comment

Dear Shayan,
                I think that STATA is providing the marginal effect directly after your command clogit. If you type the command " margins, dydx(*) predict(xb)" after your clogit, you will get the same coefficients with dy/dx.

Mina

Comment

Working...
                X