Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using -ml- in an unusual(?) situation

I’m seeking help with setting up a maximum likelihood estimation with -ml- in a situation that (to me) seems unusual but in principle workable. What’s unusual is 1) there is a large number of parameters (one per subject); 2) the likelihood depends on observations made on *pairs* of subjects; 3) no regression model is involved.

Detail:
    Here’s the situation, which happens to involve estimating parameters relating to a nonstandard model for agreement among N subjects who each respond to K categorical questionnaire items. The relevant data set involves the N(N-1)/2 distinct pairs of subjects, for which a variable M is observed, where Mij,, is the number of times subject i and subject j have matching answers across the set of K questions.
    Code:
    idi     idj   M
    1       2     M12
    1       3     M13
    1       N     M1N
    2       3     M23
    (N-1)   N     M(N-1)N
    Under the formal response model of interest, an unknown parameter, say bi, characterizes each of the i = 1, ..., N subjects, and it's that vector of parameters that is to be estimated. It's straightforward to write an expression for the contribution to the likelihood LL(Mij ) for each pair of subjects, and the overall log-likelihood is the sum of these. The LL(Mij ) expression is just a polynomial in the parameters bi and bj and some constants

To my understanding, this meets the linear form restriction of -ml-, so I'd like to think this should be easy in -ml-

My problem:
    Being a neophyte user of -ml-, I’m trying to find some kind of relevant example to follow in the Stata -ml- book or documentation, but I’m not getting there. . I don’t for example, know how to communicate to -ml- that there is a list of N parameters which are not part of anything like Y = XB, but rather b1 = ?, b2 = ? ... bN = ? Can someone point me in the direction of an example for something like this? Or, perhaps this is something easy to sketch out for an experienced -ml- user?

I have implemented this estimation problem with Mata’s -optimize()-, but that’s messy in numerous ways, and I suspect slower than using -ml-. (This is a very compute-intensive problem, so speed is of the essence.)
Working...
X