No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrumental Variable and reverse causality

Hi,

From what I understand, the two conditions for an instrument to be appropriate is:
    1) The covariance between the instrument and the error term in the structural model is zero
    2) The covariance between the endogenous variable and the instrument is non-zero

What happens if it is the case that the instrument and the endogenous variable are correlated BUT the instrument is the variable that impacts the endogenous variable (i.e. there is reverse causality). Can the instrument still be used?

I don't see the difference between 2) and the next paragraph, unless you mean endogenous regressor in 2), and dependent variable in the next para.

Comment

Hi,

My question is what if the instrument and the endogenous variable are correlated but it is because the instrument impacts the endogenous variable (reverse causality)? Is the instrument still appropriate?

Comment

You have just repeated what you wrote in #1. An instrument has to be correlated with the endogenous regressor. Otherwise, it would not be an instrument.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric de Souza View Post
          You have just repeated what you wrote in #1. An instrument has to be correlated with the endogenous regressor. Otherwise, it would not be an instrument.
          Hi Eric,

Thanks for all your replies. To provide an example. Say I was running a regression of Wages on Alcohol Consumption and I suspect that there is endogeneity from simultaneity bias.

If Weight is not correlated with the error term in the structural model and it is correlated with Alcohol Consumption, it should be a suitable instrument.

But I suspect that increased alcohol consumption increases an individual's weight while an individual's weight does not influence their alcohol consumption. In this case, is weight still a valid IV?

Comment

Working...
          X