Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quadratic specification and time-series operators: how to calculate the turning point?

Dear all,

I would like to estimate a quadratic equation in order to find the point at which the variable x maximizes the function y (turning point).
    I take the natural logarithm of all variables and consider their first-difference because their levels are not stationary. Furthermore, in order to decrease the risk of endogeneity, they are all lagged of one period.

The quadratic specification I would like to estimate is the following:
    (lnyt-lnyt-1)= constant + Beta1*(lnxt-1-lnxt-2) + Beta2*((lnxt-1)^2-(lnxt-2)^2)

I use Stata/SE 9.2. I calculate the squared variable in the following way:
    Code:
    gen lx_sq=lx*lx
    (where lx is ln(x))

I estimate the quadratic specification:
    Code:
    regress d.ly l.(d.lx) l.(d.lx_sq)
    Source SS df MS Number of obs = 38
    F( 2, 35) = 5.45
    Model .008934437 2 .004467218 Prob > F = 0.0087
    Residual .028681133 35 .000819461 R-squared = 0.2375
    Adj R-squared = 0.1939
    Total .03761557 37 .001016637 Root MSE = .02863
    D.ly Coef. Std. Err. t P>t [95% Conf. Interval]
    lx
    LD. .5400141 .2148788 2.51 0.017 .103787 .9762412
    lx_sq
    LD. -.0859535 .0291469 -2.95 0.006 -.1451249 -.0267821
    _cons .0195899 .0057903 3.38 0.002 .007835 .0313449
    According to these results, I conclude that there is (quadratic) nonlinearity between lnx and lny. The coefficient of the two independent variables are statistically significant (at the 90% level) and the sign of the squared variable’s coefficient is negative.

Now I would like to calculate the value of the turning point (value of lnxt that maximizes (lnyt-lnyt-1)) but I am confused because of the time-series operators (first-difference and lag). Indeed, on the right-hand side of the equation, there are only lnxt-1 and not lnxt.

Would it be correct to take the derivative of (lnyt-lnyt-1) with respect to lnxt-1?
    This would give the following results: Beta1/xt-1+(2*Beta2/xt-1)*lnxt-1=0
    Lnxt-1= (-Beta1/2*Beta2), so xt-1=e^(-Beta1/2*Beta2)

I am also confused because I don’t know if the fact that I can only get the value of xt-1 and not xt would be a problem for the interpretation of the results.
    Would it be correct to say something like "the value of Y (=(lnyt-lnyt-1)) is maximized when the value of x of the last period was equal to e^(-Beta1/2*Beta2)"? I'm not sure that this makes sense.

Thank you for your help!

I would like to estimate a quadratic equation in order to find the point at which the variable x maximizes the function y (turning point).
    I don't think it can be done.

The problem is that your model does not give y as a function of x,, quadratic or otherwise. The variables you use in your model are first differences. So if you want to find the value of the first difference in x that maximizes the first difference in y, that would be possible. Using lx = -_b[lx]/(2*_b[lx_sq]) is correct, and then you just exponentiate to get the x that maximizes the first difference in y. But if you need a value of x that maximizes y itself, this approach will not work, and I do not see any other that will. If anything, to the extent that the first difference in y is related to the derivative of y, you might need to find a value of x that makes the first difference of x = 0.

Comment

Originally posted by Clyde Schechter View Post
      I don't think it can be done.

The problem is that your model does not give y as a function of x,, quadratic or otherwise. The variables you use in your model are first differences. So if you want to find the value of the first difference in x that maximizes the first difference in y, that would be possible. Using lx = -_b[lx]/(2*_b[lx_sq]) is correct, and then you just exponentiate to get the x that maximizes the first difference in y. But if you need a value of x that maximizes y itself, this approach will not work, and I do not see any other that will. If anything, to the extent that the first difference in y is related to the derivative of y, you might need to find a value of x that makes the first difference of x = 0.
      Dear Clyde Schechter,

Thank you so much for your reply. Your explanations are very clear.
      I think I’d rather try to find another methodology in order to find the value of x that maximizes y (in levels).

Kind regards

Comment

Working...
      X