No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unbalanced panel descriptives

Hi,
    I am interested in better understanding how to get useful descriptive statistics for my unbalanced panel with Stata 13. I have panel data with abourt 13.000 observations and about 4000 objects over 12 years. I would like to know:
    1. the number of consecutive observations per object
    2. the average number of consective observations
    3. the longest spell / best spell to use
    I was told that
    Code:
    tsspell
    could help me out. But I can't find it on the SSC... Is there any other way to get a hold of this information?

I am relatively new to Stata (I am used to R) and I am sure this is a very beginners question. But I can't get a hold of it.

Thank you very much
    /R
    Last edited by Rachel Sleeps; 21 Jul 2015, 00:36.

Typing
    Code:
    search tsspell
    in Stata brings up a Viewer window that contains a hyperlink to it on SSC. The hyperlink is
    Code:
    net describe tsspell, from(http://fmwww.bc.edu/RePEc/bocode/t)
    and so you could copy and paste that into your Stata command line to go directly there.

Comment

Thanks! It worked now with net install! But, does tsspell help me obtaining the information I seek?

Comment

Did you read the help?

Code:

ssc inst tsspell 
        help tsspell
        1. Spells of consecutive observations: This is an example in the help.

2. The average number of consecutive observations. You need to be precise here. This panel contains 5 consecutive observations by one definition, as there are 2 spells that contain consecutive observations. Do you mean of the longest spell?

Code:

id     time 
        42     1
        42     2
        42     3
        42     11
        42     12
        3a. Longest spell. This follows immediately from a close reading of the help. The length of the longest spell for each panel is

Code:

egen length_longest = max(_seq), by(id)
        The longest spell itself is identifiable by

Code:

bysort id (_seq) : gen which_longest = _spell
        except that you need a rule for dealing with ties.

3b, Best spell. Not defined.

See also http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.h...iclenum=dm0029 for a discussion of principles.

Comment

Perfect! Thank you. The help function is great, really. Now I know better and will check it first!

Comment

Working...
          X