Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using private messages

Executive summary: Please don't ask Stata or statistical questions using private messages to active individuals.

Many members will have noticed that messages may be sent to specified individuals. The purpose of this post is to make some suggestions about proper and not so proper uses of messages. If there are different points of view, then naturally I want to hear them. But my immediate motive is just to write something, so that I can refer to it in the future.

Normally this should not need or deserve comment. You can send personal or private messages to your friends in the Stata community, or people you think you know well, and in those what you say is of interest only to the parties concerned. If you don't know who your friends are, it is not my role to sort that out for you! If you don't, as yet, have any friends who also use Statalist, that need not be a problem. It's a technical forum, any way.

The major point, however, that does deserve flagging is that new members sometimes ask Stata or statistical questions through private messages. I know this because they sometimes ask me and I know from other messages and from comments in public threads that active members (meaning principally, those who answer many questions) often get such messages.

Perhaps this use of messages to ask Stata or statistical questions may arise because new members are confused about the difference between questions and messages. We try as hard as possible to ensure that this doesn't happen. Messages aren't even mentioned in the FAQ Advice, which all members are asked to read before posting. Any way, if anyone is still confused, we didn't do a good enough job (*). If you are new to Statalist and want to ask something, use whichever forum is best suited for your question. Almost always, this will be the General forum. If you post in another forum that is unsuitable, then people watch all the forums and you will get asked to post in another forum. Not understanding what goes where at worst will add some delay before getting a good answer. (If no-one wants to answer your question, sorry about that.)

My personal policy is to decline to answer Stata or statistical questions posted in private messages, even when I know the answer. I ask that people post their question in a public forum. Just as much of the benefit of a forum with publicly visible threads is that discussions may be of use or interest to quite different people, so also that benefit is lost if a question is posted in a private message. Even more important, a public thread is visible to many people and may get different answers, less subject to the caprice of who is watching the forum and who is busy, asleep, on vacation or planning to move over to some alternative software.

As said, this is a personal policy and in no sense binding on others. But individuals I have discussed this with are in strong agreement on the point. We don't want to seem unfriendly; we just want to make the best use of our time in the forum and to ensure the best visibility for your question.

I'd also suggest that being embarrassed about being a learner or asking an elementary question makes no difference to this policy. Nor does wanting to hire a consultant make a difference.

(*) That is assuming that you did read the FAQ Advice like a sensible person.
    Last edited by Nick Cox; 18 Jul 2015, 12:47.

I do agree with Nick on this topic.
    Kind regards,
    Carlo
    (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

the problem is that it not easy even to login into the site , i've try to ask my question on a forum but dont know how it works either . The easiest way to contact someone or search for an answer is to write a messages because it's the most accessible one . IM sorry for the inconvenience but it is because i wasnt able to create a forum or just ask my question simply.

Comment

Lud: Your post makes little sense unless people are told that you sent me a private message and were given this link as an explanation of why you are asked not to do that.

As you have now worked out how to post, I can't see a real issue here. But I don't agree that messages are more visible than the forums.
        Last edited by Nick Cox; 21 Oct 2015, 11:35.

Comment

Lud:
          as there are thousands of people who registered to this forum. it seems hard to believe that registering is that difficult.
          Kind regards,
          Carlo
          (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

I'd add a related suggestion. Sending personal messages to active members of the form "Please answer my question" is not a good idea. The assumption should be that active members scan the forum and answer what they can, and if they didn't answer your question, then that's the end of the story as far you and they are concerned.

Comment

Dear Nick, I got a private message from Robert Picard this morning. How can I respond to him in private? (I have never sent any private message in this forum, and have no idea how to do that?)

Ho-Chuan (River) Huang
              Stata 17.0, MP(4)

Comment

It would have been better to say "from another person" rather than giving a name.

There should be a box underneath the message with space to reply. I will try sending you a private message to see if you see how it works.

Comment

Dear Nich Cox,
                  I total agree with your insight. However, I got a confusion that, when I follow the instruction on FAQ to send email to [email protected], but my gmail told me my email can not be delivered. Maybe you can help me with my confusion.
                  Thank you.

Comment

I guess you have been looking at the FAQ for the email-based list which was closed down in 2014.

Comment

I fully agree with Nick’s comments. The main aim of the forum is sharing knowledge. With regards to private messages, if it comes from a Forum friend, it is heartily welcomed. If it comes just as a ‘bump’ or pushing strategy, either I’d give a public reply in the forum or I’d give it a pass. As I said before, I’ll repeat that again: this forum is so full of people whose awesome expertise goes on par with one-of-a-kind goodwill that I can hardly express how grateful we should be for such a gift. The very fact that I oftentimes come across with top-notch fellows on a Sunday (like today) or any holiday, and I see how engrossed they are in giving a helping hand, well, this is enough to leave me touched and grateful.
                      Last edited by Marcos Almeida; 26 May 2019, 12:37.
                      Best regards,

Marcos

Comment

Nick, what is the protocol for flagging (@ing) members when you create a new thread and you know they have expertise on a particular subject and you don’t want them to miss your thread? Some of these members aren’t as active, and the post may get lost in the sea of threads that come after a particular thread is created. Is it frowned upon to @ mention someone that you know is likely to have valuable input on a particular topic?

Comment

Justin Blasongame #12 That's a good question. The uses of such flagging include

1. What I just did. Flagging someone who recently asked a question, or answered or commented. If the person is signed up for email notification then they may see the notification sooner than they see the reply through their scanning of the forum. This seems a natural way to work.

2. Flagging someone who some time ago asked a question, or answered or commented. Here the comment is empirical. I'd look to see when that person last used the forum. If it was months or years ago, there is less chance that they have anything to say, but no big problem either way.

3. Flagging someone very active because you want their attention. I'd say from personal experience that this is not the best use of flagging:

* Such people look at the site a lot. If they're not visible right now there's usually a good reason. So, Thur-Sat last week I was away from base at the (excellent) German meeting and I don't travel with computers.

* It's easy to overestimate the scope of active users. None of us is omniscient. So, I find that fairly often in practice people flag me when I don't understand a question or have no idea of a good answer. It's still then a small obligation to say "Sorry, but I don't know anything about that" which is not interesting or useful. I can't claim to do that always.

* It's better to make the thread title interesting and specific so that people spot something in their territory naturally.

Very active users usually feel they know each other: often they have met at user meetings, or having read thousands of the other person's posts you get into chatting or private emails sooner or later. I don't recall use or misuse of @ being regarded by anybody as even a minor issue. We grumble about unclear questions and failure to close threads, but not that (yet). If we saw someone doing an enormous amount of flagging we might well comment directly that it's not an especially good idea. Again, I don't think I've seen that done.

Summary: Do whatever seems natural. Flagging won't be regarded negatively if the flag evokes zero interest.

Comment

Noted. Thanks for clarifying, Nick.

Comment

Working...
                            X