No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Efficient estimation with large number of fixed effects in stcox

Hi,

I am running a proportional hazard model using stcox in Stata 13. I need to control for a large number of fixed effects (over 3000). I don't actually care about the estimation
    of the coefficients on the fixed effects, so I thought something like areg (where fixed effects are absorbed and not estimated) might be
    helpful - but it seems like this doesn't exist for stcox. Is there an efficient way to control for a large number of fixed
    effects using stcox?

Thanks,
    Crystal

Welcome to Statalist, Crystal!

stcox can't fit a fixed effects model. You can, however, model survival semi-parametrically via a piecewise-constant exponential model. See Germán Rodríguez's Princeton page on piecewise exponential models. I empirically demonstrated the theoretical equivalence of Poisson regression to a piecewise exponential, with an application to gsem here.

Then you can use xtpoisson, with the fe option. However, because this is conditional likelihood, your prediction options are limited. Better, I think is a random effects model:

1. Best: fit a multilevel mixed-effects piecewise-constant exponential model via mestreg in Stata 14. You then get options like stcurve.. For data preparation, very similar to that on Germán's page, see William Mason's class notes .

2. In Stata 13, fit the multilevel mixed effects with the equivalent Poisson model in gsem.

3. Fit a frailty model in stcox, which is a random effects model with a single Gamma distribution for the random effect. This is very limiting, compared to the mixed-effect options of mestreg and gsem.
    Last edited by Steve Samuels; 24 May 2015, 06:53.
    Steve Samuels
    Statistical Consulting
    [email protected]

Stata 14.2

Comment

I should have added a further advantage of mestreg: you might get lucky and find that your piecewise model is well-approximated by one of the built-in parametric distributions.
      Steve Samuels
      Statistical Consulting
      [email protected]

Stata 14.2

Comment

Hello Dr. Samuel,

I have some questions on mestreg in Stata 14. Using mestreg, is it possible to run multilevel mixed-effects piecewise model with period specific effects? This particular procedure is written on page 123 in Event History Analysis with Stata by Blossfeld. Any foreseeable challenges and problems?

Thank you for your consideration in advance.

Comment

Working...
        X