No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting Stata 13 to Stata 12

Hi to all.
    I am trying to access a .dta file generated by STATA 13 but I have STATA 12 only.
    When trying to open I get the r(610) error, obviously. I have tried to use "use13" method, but got an error as well : r(3698)

Could someone who has the STATA 13 open the file, save it in way to being usable in STATA 12 (this way: http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?saveold) and send it back ?

I will send the link to the file by personal message.

You would help me a lot! I am really in big trouble!

Before doing that, I would suggest that (a) you make sure your Stata is up to date -- type -update all-. (b) Show exactly what you typed and the messages you got. Maybe you have a syntax error. Or if there is a bug in -use13- I am sure the author would like to know about it.

If this isn't just a one-time issue, you'll be happy to learn how to deal with it rather than always being dependent on others.
    -------------------------------------------
    Richard Williams, Notre Dame Dept of Sociology
    Stata Version: 17.0 MP (2 processor)

EMAIL: [email protected]
    WWW: https://www3.nd.edu/~rwilliam

Comment

Hi! Thanks for answering.
      (a) - Stata is up to date
      (b) - No syntax error.
      If I try to open the file it returns "..... .dta not Stata format r(610);" which is normal
      When using "use13" the command starts running, but after a while (the file is pretty big) returns : ".dta fseek(): 3698 file seek error"

This is a one-time issue. All my files are in stata 12. I will not need stata 13 files during next days and will get upgraded next month.

Please help!

Comment

Rich assumed you used use13 instead of use. You can download use13 by typing in Stata ssc install use13.

Also note that it is convention on this list to post under your real name, This tends to keep the discussion more friendly and professional, so we like to keep that convention.
        ---------------------------------
        Maarten L. Buis
        University of Konstanz
        Department of history and sociology
        box 40
        78457 Konstanz
        Germany
        http://www.maartenbuis.nl
        ---------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by NoPR View Post
          When using "use13" the command starts running, but after a while (the file is pretty big) returns : ".dta fseek(): 3698 file seek error"
          Please help!
          NoPR, consult the troubleshooting reference. #3 is most likely, and #6 is always possible.
          fseek() is one of the key players in use13, so the message is consistent with use13's defect.

Is the file bigger than 2gb? Do you know what the file is expected to contain? (describe for me).

For those who are interested, there were 3 defects identified so far with -use13- after it's release:
          1) extension .dta is not added automatically if omitted by the user; -- was done intentionally, unlikely to change, some users are unhappy.
          2) -use13- actually requires Stata 10.1, not 10.0 -- reported by at least 4 users -- intended to have compatibility with 10.0, currently waiting for StataCorp to weight in and elaborate how a developer can compile for earlier Stata version.
          3) very exotic bug, (and I mean exotic and really a bug) -- discovered by me, unlikely that it has affected anybody, fixable, description is available here:
          http://radyakin.org/transfer/use13/bugs/bug_0001.htm

Best, Sergiy Radyakin
          Last edited by Sergiy Radyakin; 10 Apr 2014, 09:57. Reason: changed word order

Comment

Originally posted by Sergiy Radyakin View Post

NoPR, consult the troubleshooting reference. #3 is most likely, and #6 is always possible.
            fseek() is one of the key players in use13, so the message is consistent with use13's defect.

Is the file bigger than 2gb? Do you know what the file is expected to contain? (describe for me).
            Thank you very much Sergiy for answering here. I was planning to contact you as well but you are already here.
            I don't think the file is corrupted. It was generated by STATA13, put into .rar archive, transferred using a usb key, unrared.
            The file is bigger than 2 gb : 3.36 gb
            I don't know much about what the files contains : at least 6 variables of both numeric and string types, and several millions of instances=rows.

Does someone can try to open the file in STATA13 to check whether it is corrupted?

Thank you.

Comment

NoPR, I have to catch a plane in 3 hours, so really no time now for investigation, but the suspect is exactly the fseek(). The problem is that Stata file implies 64-bit integer offsets, but Mata does not provide a type to store the data so wide. I have to emulate the missing type with more primitive types, which might be either failing for all >2gb files, or failing for such files produced on non-Windows platforms. If anyone is checking this file and it opens in Stata 13, try to
              1) break it down into chunks <2gb, and see if the problem persists.
              2) re-save the whole file on a Windows machine and retry with use13.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
              Sergiy Radyakin
              PS: if possible add the use13 tag to this thread, I can't do it for some reason (or only the topic starter can?)

Comment

Originally posted by Sergiy Radyakin View Post
                NoPR, I have to catch a plane in 3 hours, so really no time now for investigation, but the suspect is exactly the fseek(). The problem is that Stata file implies 64-bit integer offsets, but Mata does not provide a type to store the data so wide. I have to emulate the missing type with more primitive types, which might be either failing for all >2gb files, or failing for such files produced on non-Windows platforms. If anyone is checking this file and it opens in Stata 13, try to
                1) break it down into chunks <2gb, and see if the problem persists.
                2) re-save the whole file on a Windows machine and retry with use13.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
                Sergiy Radyakin
                PS: if possible add the use13 tag to this thread, I can't do it for some reason (or only the topic starter can?)
                Thank you Sergiy. I hope someone else with STATA 13 will appear in order to check all this.

Originally posted by Maarten Buis View Post
                Also note that it is convention on this list to post under your real name, This tends to keep the discussion more friendly and professional, so we like to keep that convention.
                I understand. However I can' t change my name anymore. How to?

Comment

For those who have STATA 13 but do not want to download then upload a 3 gb file : the compressed file is about 700 mb only. I am ready to quickly send the link. It would take you a minute to save it in an old format and upload it back.

I have no possibility to get to the PC where it was initially generated. I am really blocked in my work because of this. Please help!

Comment

Originally posted by NoPR View Post

I understand. However I can' t change my name anymore. How to?
                    See http://www.statalist.org/forums/foru...nging-username - if I understand this correctly this means you have to ask the administrator to change your name by using the link http://www.statalist.org/forums/contact-us .

Comment

Richard Williams has just did it! Thanks Richard!
                      The file was thus not corrupted. The problem occurred probably because of its size.
                      Thanks to all who has taken time to help me.
                      The thread can be closed!

Comment

Working...
                      X