Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User support for Stata increasing the variable label length for the next update.

I thought I would contact you because I am looking for user support. I think it is time for Stata to rethink the variable label 80 character policy in light of the following factors:

Advancements in search platforms which use metadata stored in variable labels in their search functions. Many terms need to be stored in order to create visability.
    Advancements in data capture technology, which is increasing the volume of data we are able to collect.
    Increase worldwide in complex data-generating lifecourse studies, with complex and precise metadata.
    Increased use of multi-study search platforms, which require more clarity to distinguish studies (and particular waves and subsets of studies) from the variable labels.
    Advancements in understandings of the use of metadata.
    Stata's competitors’ decisions to increase their character lengths.

I think these factors may outweigh issues of functionality, such as the variable label length supplied by research data providers will not be clear on a Stata produced graph. Researchers dealing with a tiny subset of very complex data projects change their own labels, but mistakes are easily made by publishing researchers if the correct label is not attached to the variable provided by the data generator.

What do you think?

The convention is that Sandbox posts are regarded as practice posts for you to learn the forum software, and so they are typically ignored. You have a proposal on which you ask for views and so it's best to post this again in General.

Comment

Working...
    X