Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New uninformative email notification of Statalist posts

Starting Tuesday around 11pm UK time, the subject headers in my automatic email notification of Statalist posts all switched to the following:

"A new post in your Forum Channel subscription: Forums"

Previously the subject header had the topic of the post in it (like Old Statalist), e.g.,

"A new post in your subscription: Refer to specific observation in a generate statement"

The new setup makes email notification near-useless, since I have to open every email to see if there's been a post on a topic that interests me.

Has this happened to everybody? If so, can we please have the old behaviour restored?

Mark,

I have subscribed to this thread. Can you please reply to this so I can see what the resulting email looks like?

Were you previously receiving emails for every post on every forum, or just for threads you specifically subscribed to?

Comment

I was receiving emails for every post on every forum. It was a way of mimicking the behaviour of Old Statalist.

Here is what the email notification of your post looked like:

HEADER:
      Subject: A new post in your Forum Channel subscription: Forums
      Sent: Thu 05/02/2015 22:39
      To: Schaffer, Mark E

CONTENTS:

Dear Mark Schaffer,

Alan Riley (StataCorp) has made a new post under
      New uninformative email notification of Statalist posts

The discussion is located at:
      http://www.statalist.org/forums/node/753725

Here is the message that has been posted:
      Mark,

I have subscribed to this thread. Can you please reply to this so I can see what the resulting email looks like?

Were you previously receiving emails

All the best,
      Statalist

To unsubscribe from this, please visit this page:
      http://www.statalist.org/forums/member/98/subscriptions

Comment

Thank you, that helps.

Can you (or anyone else) reply to this again? We are testing some changes to improve the email subject that Mark described.

Comment

OK, here's a reply.

Comment

We're still not quite there, but getting closer...

Comment

Call me old school, but if you have some flexibility in choosing the format of the subject heading contents, I'd be very happy to see a return of the Old Statalist format: "st: <topic>".

Comment

Working again - thanks!

Comment

It's baaaaack... exactly the bug in email notification that we saw in March 2014 (see the previous discussion in this thread).

Starting Friday the 13th (coincidence?) with the following Statalist post

http://www.statalist.org/forums/node/1316623 (poster "sladmin", contents "just a test" - another coincidence?)

my email notifications all have the uninformative subject header "A new post in your Forum Channel subscription: Forums".

I hope the old behaviour can make another comeback.

Comment

Hopefully the old behavior is back now.

We applied an update from the vBulletin software vendor to the forum software last week. That update undid a fix we made to the core of the software which modified the standard email notifications. We're likely to encounter this every time the forum software is updated, but we have a note in place to make sure to reapply our change in the future.

Comment

The old behaviour has indeed made another successful comeback. Thanks Alan!

Comment

Working...
                      X