Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've finally found the cause of the problem. I removed duplicates on 2 parts of my .do-file....1 removal should I do after a certain merge
    Last edited by LydiaSmit; 11 Jul 2014, 14:49.

Comment

have you tried the -duplicates- command, or looked at the help file?

Comment

Yes, I did Rich, however I used the 4 commands below to remove the duplicates in my datasets.

sort id country gender + 8 other vars
        quietly by id country gender + 8 other vars: gen dup = cond(_N==1,0,_n)
        drop if dup>1
        drop dup

I found these commands somewhere online. They work for the duplicate removal but they lead to a different total amount of obs each time I run the same .do-file. I need to remove the duplicates without getting mismatches when I use the 'cf'-command which compares a saved dataset with the dataset you currently have open. Therefore, I use the save command immediatly after the 'cf' command
        Last edited by LydiaSmit; 11 Jul 2014, 15:52.

Comment

Why not duplicates drop??

Code:
          sysuse auto, clear
          tab foreign
          duplicates drop foreign, force
          tab foreign
          (Only the duplicates command is needed, the rest is data loading and display).

Best, Sergiy Radyakin

Comment

Lydia, you say "yes", but you don't show anything using the "duplicates" command so I think the answer is really "no", you did not; see -help duplicates-

I see that in #20 above, Sergiy has given an example of the use of the command
            Last edited by Rich Goldstein; 11 Jul 2014, 19:19.

Comment

Thank you Sergiy Radyakin.

Unfortunately I didn't think I would need a logfile (even though this is my first Stata project) ...otherwise I would have been able to prove that I used the -help duplicates- command a few weeks ago, when I started to use Stata for the first time. "have you tried the -duplicates- command, or looked at the help file?" So yes, I did look at the help file. So, the answer would have been yes even though I could have not tried the -duplicates- command. However, I did use that command a few weeks ago, but then I decided that I also wanted to drop the originals obs underlying the duplicates. (the first occurence) Therefore, I stopped using -duplicates drop- and started to use the following:

sort id country gender
              quietly by id country gender: gen dup = cond(_N==1,0,_n)
              drop if dup>0;---which leads to a different result than duplicates drop (and dup >1 of course)
              drop dup

Later, I changed my mind and wanted to keep the original obs, so then I used the 4 commands mentioned in my previous post because first nothing looked wrong after I used those commands. On the contrary, they seemed to work perfectly. "duplicates drop varlistnames, force" led to the same amount of dropped duplicates. I should have switched to -duplicates drop- at that time. However, the change in the total amount of obs didn't happen immediatly after running those 4 commands. They were the cause of it, but the change happened about 15 commands thereafter.

Duplicates drop was and is the solution/answer to my question, however, I decided just before my post of 13:50 that I need to do that specific duplicates removal after a certain merge. After my previous post I checked duplicates drop again just to test if that would work without later changing the total amount of obs and it did work. However, I couldn't come online again until now.

Deleted and reposted to prevent double posting:

New problem, exact same topic

sort id country gender
              quietly by id country gender: gen dup = cond(_N==1,0,_n)
              drop if dup>0;---which leads to a different result than duplicates drop (and dup >1 of course)
              drop dup

Is it possible to drop the same amount of obs as with the above code but then with an other code?
              So a code that also drops the first occurence of duplicates?
              -duplicates drop- doesn't drop these.

Comment

If I understand the question, -duplicates tag- may help you do what you want. A non-zero value on the generated variable indicates the record has a duplicate.
                -------------------------------------------
                Richard Williams, Notre Dame Dept of Sociology
                Stata Version: 17.0 MP (2 processor)

EMAIL: [email protected]
                WWW: https://www3.nd.edu/~rwilliam

Comment

Thank you Richard. That was exactly what I needed.

Comment

Working...
                  X