No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julian Pritsch
    replied
    In my opinion, a wishful option for the commands of the [ME]-family is a visual display of the model/equation one would like to estimating. I am thinking something in line with the visual presentation of the model/equation in the HLM. For an example see UCLA-website, HLM snapshot for Model 4: http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/hlm/seminars/hlm_mlm/608/mlm_hlm_seminar_v608.htm

I think this is very helpful because one is able to actual see the equation which is often shown (with varying notations) in multilevel textbooks.

Leave a comment:

• Matthew White
    replied
    I'm a big fan of the Stata 13 Project Manager. It'd be helpful to be able to read/write .stpr files programmatically. There are a few project operations I'd like to automate that aren't currently supported by the Project Manager, for instance, removing all nonexistent files or dynamically linking a directory so that files added to the directory are added to the project. Perhaps it makes sense for StataCorp to implement only a subset of them, but if .stpr files were programmatically readable, I'd be able to implement all of them myself. .stpr files are binary, so perhaps an export to/import from XML or JSON feature would work well. Or perhaps .stpr files could even be exported to or imported from appropriately formatted Stata datasets so that they can be easily manipulated from within Stata.
    Last edited by Matthew White; 18 Feb 2015, 20:45. Reason: Typo fix

Leave a comment:

• Arne Risa Hole
    replied
    Re post #172: see also the excellent lclogit package by Pacifico and Yoo and the associated SJ paper: http://www.stata-journal.com/article...article=st0312

Leave a comment:

• Clyde Schechter
    replied
    Somewhat related to #176: when running -simulate- and saving the default _b estimates, the file comes out with variable names like _sim_1, _sim_2, etc., and the variable labels correspond to the names of the coefficients that appear in the e(b) column names. And that's great. But if you're doing a very long simulate, and saving with the -every()- option and need to stop the simulation before the planned number of replications, the file does not have the variables labeled. Yes, you can recover them from e(b) but it's a (minor) nuisance. It would be nice if -simulate- applied the variable labels when it first creates the file, rather than only after the last replication.

Leave a comment:

• László Sándor
    replied
    This is the future of Stata too, I hope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPJJmRxxkZ0

Leave a comment:

• Stephen Jenkins
    replied
    Re post #176: this functionality already exists. Please see the every(#) to postfile

Leave a comment:

• Lui Yiu Lim
    replied
    I hope that stata could make improvement in the postfile command. Now it saves the output when all iterations are finished.
    So, when you perform a 10-time iteration, if there is problem in the 9th time, all the previous 8-time iteration's data are gone.

I hope that stata will let user to set "a save point", or set how frequent stata is to updata the file.

Leave a comment:

• Marcos Almeida
    replied
    I'd be very happy with power and sample size estimations for mixed models. Also, a complete menu concerning metanalysis. Wishful thinking?

Leave a comment:

• Konrad Zdeb
    replied
    Originally posted by Clyde Schechter View Post
    I would like to see commands that export data to other formats (I'm thinking of -export delimited- and -export excel-) to include a -usedisplayformat- option that applies the existing display formats to each variable affected in the target file.
    How about dataout (SSC)?

Leave a comment:

• Mark Schaffer
    replied
    I'd like to see a nooutput option appear as standard on estimation etc. commands.

Why isn't quietly or capture good enough? Because these suppress all the output, including any detailed error or warning messages. For example, say I call regress as an intermediate step in a do or ado file. I don't want the regression output reported. But if regress finds collinearities and drops some regressors, then I want it to report the corresponding "note: x omitted because of collinearity" but not the main output.

Incidentally, this is possible with regress by using the noheader and notable options together. But regress is exceptional in this regard.

Leave a comment:

• Nathan E. Fosse
    replied
    I would like Stata 14 to have a suite of latent class analysis (LCA) or latent structure models. Presently, the most popular software are Mplus, Latent GOLD, and the flexmix() and poLCA() packages in R. This would be great for Stata's market share, as these analyses are ubiquitious in market research.

In Stata, fmm by Partha Deb and the notable gllamm ado packages provide aspects of these, but are somewhat more limited than Mplus or Latent GOLD. (gllamm in particular requires more patience than I can muster).

Perhaps there is a way to run LCA models in Stata using gsem; I haven't personally gotten around to using the sem commands yet (although Acock's book sits on my bookshelf).

Does anyone know if gsem possibly provides latent class analyses?

Cheers,
    - Nate
    P.S. In the Stata environment, if you're going with Mplus, I definitely recommend Rich Jones' and collagues' parsing of Mplus syntax, runmplus (link below). By far, even within R, it's the best means of integrating Mplus in any general stats package!
    A site about a latent variable workshop using Mplus software held at Brown University Warren Alpert Medical School in Providence, Rhode Island and sponsored by the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior (workshop formerly at at Harvard Medical School and sponsored by the Hebrew SeniorLife Institute for Aging Research)

Leave a comment:

• Kieran McCaul
    replied
    Originally posted by Matthew White View Post

Part of what my profile.do does is set my ado-path, which contains about 75 directories, as my ado-files are scattered across project directories and Git repositories. It also sets my PERSONAL system directory outside the default C:\ado\personal: I like keeping PERSONAL on Dropbox in order to facilitate ado-file consistency across machines. Yet all my calls to the adopath and sysdir commands seem to be processed after the JRE is loaded fairly early on, so javacall looks only in C:\ado for Java files. Again, a command to reload the JRE with the current ado-path would address this.
    I was having this problem when I moved my ado-path to dropbox. When I sent a do-file to Stata from my editor, if Stata was not already running, the ADOPATH would not be set correctly. So I moved my sysdir and adopath commands to sysprofile.do which, if it exists, is run by Stata before profile.do.

Leave a comment:

• ben earnhart
    replied
    Be nice if -alpha- could work off a matrix (like factormat can), or had an option to use polychorics. For that matter, might bring polychoric into the officially supported commands instead of keeping it as an add-on.

Leave a comment:

• David Muhlestein
    replied
    It would also be nice if Stata could increase their limits across the board (number of variables, length of labels, number of label values,etc.). Long strings in Stata 13 were a great addition, but it should be expanded elsewhere. I understand that there are reasons for some of the limits, but being able to override them would be wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• Clyde Schechter
    replied
    I would like to see commands that export data to other formats (I'm thinking of -export delimited- and -export excel-) to include a -usedisplayformat- option that applies the existing display formats to each variable affected in the target file.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X