Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone, I fixed the bug for the hegy package (arimaauto now offers to install it manually). Kit Baum wil hopefully update the version in the SSC soon.
    All other described problems are Stata version related, please compile the .mlib file yourself (simply run this file in Stata and place the resulting .mlib from the working directory or "l" subfolder into your personal folder – type "sysdir") using

https://github.com/econcz/stata-arim...arimaauto.mata

After some consideration and compatibility problems, I decided to set the version of arimaauto to Stata 16.
    If you have a lower version of Stata, you can try changing the versions in the ado and mata file and save/compile them. Simply:
    Code:
    which arimaauto
    doedit {the displayed path}
    and follow the procedure described above.
    You can save the result into your personal folder to protect against package updates.

PS I have Stata 17 and it can only compile code for version 17.

Comment

Originally posted by Akash Issar View Post
      Hi Ilya Bolotov ! Thank you for bringing auto.arima from R into Stata. I am using Stata 17.0 and I encountered an error when I use the "if" condition to run arimaauto on a train set. Here is the example using the "data_uk.dta" provided with the hegy package.

Code:
      . sysuse data_uk.dta
      // Create a training set indicator

. gen insample = (time<=tm(2010m12))

// The regular arimaauto works fine without the "if" condition

arimaauto luk

// Below I use the "if" condition to run autoarima on the training set

. arimaauto luk if insample==1
      Error: convergence failure or at least one eigenvalue is at least .999001

// I receive the above error .
      I tried the running arimaauto on other datasets too and I receive the error. However, the R command `auto.arima()` allows to run on a train set.

Looking forward to your help with this issue.

Thanks
      A very good question! arimaauto uses Stata's arima command, so I guess the ML estimation in Stata and R is different in some way :-)
      I don't think it's an error.

Comment

If someone already compiled larimaauto.mlib for Stata 16, could you please send the file to me? I'll ask Kit Baum to fix the version in SSC.
        Thank you in advance!
        Last edited by Ilya Bolotov; 15 Oct 2022, 10:57.

Comment

Please ignore my last message; I got my hands on an old Stata 15 installer (I still have the license from the purchase) and managed to compile arimaauto with it.
          Surprisingly, it seems to work well, so I downgraded the program's requirements to version 15 and sent the update to Kit Baum to be uploaded to SSC. It should appear soon under version 1.0.4. This time all files are mutually consistent, and no errors should arise (fingers crossed).

Those who have an older Stata edition (13 and 14), please follow the advice in this post.

Many thanks for everybody's feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by Ilya Bolotov View Post
            Please ignore my last message; I got my hands on an old Stata 15 installer (I still have the license from the purchase) and managed to compile arimaauto with it.
            Surprisingly, it seems to work well, so I downgraded the program's requirements to version 15 and sent the update to Kit Baum to be uploaded to SSC. It should appear soon under version 1.0.4. This time all files are mutually consistent, and no errors should arise (fingers crossed).

Those who have an older Stata edition (13 and 14), please follow the advice in this post.

Many thanks for everybody's feedback!
            Illya two technical questions
            Do data have first to be turned into stationary series or it can handle that by itself?
            Can it implement arima with Kalman Filter (with the diffuse option, idealy)?

​​​​​​​What is the prediction equation used here?
            Last edited by Mario Ferri; 09 Feb 2023, 08:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Ferri View Post

Illya two technical questions
              Do data have first to be turned into stationary series or it can handle that by itself?
              Can it implement arima with Kalman Filter (with the diffuse option, idealy)?

What is the prediction equation used here?
              Dear Mario,

It's literally a Mata wrapper for Stata's built-in arima command.
              In other words, arimaauto uses the arima command to make all estimations.

Comment

Ilya Bolotov thanks again for sharing this super useful command with the community .

I have a quick question. I am working with Panel data to run arimaauto on CPI variable for each of my countries using monthly data ( to be used for forecasting purposes).

However, when I run the arimaauto command for each country I get the following message (in bold) ;

. arimaauto cpi, if country=="Albania"
                "something that should be true of your data is not"

Note that, when I try to run a loop with the [foreach] command , I do not get any output ( the latter approach with the loop is of course the ideal command for me compared to the [if country==] command above .

Thanks for any help or guidance on how to implement this function on panel data with a separate output for each country ( my .dta is attached).

Best
                I
                Attached Files

Comment

Huuu. I only have STATA version 14. :*(

Comment

Originally posted by bechir bouzid View Post
                    Ilya Bolotov thanks again for sharing this super useful command with the community .

I have a quick question. I am working with Panel data to run arimaauto on CPI variable for each of my countries using monthly data ( to be used for forecasting purposes).

However, when I run the arimaauto command for each country I get the following message (in bold) ;

. arimaauto cpi, if country=="Albania"
                    "something that should be true of your data is not"

Note that, when I try to run a loop with the [foreach] command , I do not get any output ( the latter approach with the loop is of course the ideal command for me compared to the [if country==] command above .

Thanks for any help or guidance on how to implement this function on panel data with a separate output for each country ( my .dta is attached).

Best
                    I
                    Have you tried the xtarimau command? It is a panel version of the arimaauto :-)
                    https://ideas.repec.org/c/boc/bocode/s459048.html

Comment

Originally posted by Al Molina View Post
                      Huuu. I only have STATA version 14. :*(
                      The arimaauto should work under Stata 14.0, but you will need to compile the mlib file manually. Please install the arimaauto from SSC, then download and run this file in Stata:
                      https://github.com/econcz/stata-arim...arimaauto.mata

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for making this command available on Stata, it has been incredibly useful for me.

I have a query about the unit root section of the automation that doesn't make sense to me. I was attempting to replicate the dfgls test that the command automatically runs. My arimauto code runs as:

Code:
                        arimaauto var
                        Snippet of output:

HTML Code:
                        Model1: ARIMA(2,0,2) with constant
                        Model2: ARIMA(0,0,0) with constant
                        Model3: ARIMA(1,0,0) with constant
                        Model4: ARIMA(0,0,1) with constant

Unit root tests:

|  unit root |  lags |      Stat    1% crit    5% crit   10% crit
                        -------------+------------+-------+-------------------------------------------
                        var |            |       |                                          
                               DFGLS |          0 |     7 |  3.074446   3.339556   4.247613   0.163282
                                KPSS |          0 |     7 |  0.093091   0.216000   0.146000   0.119000
                        The issue is the stat, 1% crit, 5% crit, 10% crit in the DFGLS column. First of all, the numbers aren't ordered which is my first red flag.

When I duplicate the DFGLS using:

Code:
                            dfgls var, notrend
                            mat li r(results)

dfgls var, maxlag(`r(maiclag)') notrend
                        it gives the output:

HTML Code:
                        DF-GLS test for unit root                   Number of obs = 78
                        Variable: var
                        Lag selection: Schwert criterion            Maximum lag   = 11

-------- Critical value ---------
                         [lags]       DF-GLS mu           1%           5%          10%
                        --------------------------------------------------------------
                             11           0.047       -2.604       -1.987       -1.690
                             10           0.329       -2.604       -2.004       -1.706
                              9           0.093       -2.604       -2.021       -1.723
                              8           0.175       -2.604       -2.039       -1.740
                              7           0.163       -2.604       -2.056       -1.757
                              6          -0.284       -2.604       -2.073       -1.774
                              5           0.775       -2.604       -2.090       -1.790
                              4           0.272       -2.604       -2.106       -1.805
                              3           0.243       -2.604       -2.122       -1.819
                              2           0.266       -2.604       -2.136       -1.832
                              1          -0.108       -2.604       -2.148       -1.844
                        --------------------------------------------------------------
                        Opt lag (Ng–Perron seq t) = 11 with RMSE = 4.095471
                        Min SIC  =  3.177813 at lag  1 with RMSE =  4.63229
                        Min MAIC =  3.074446 at lag  7 with RMSE = 4.247613

.         mat li r(results)

r(results)[11,5]
                                     k        MAIC         SIC        RMSE       DFGLS
                        r1          11   3.1020417   3.4900263   4.0954709   .04668016
                        r1          10   3.1352375   3.4824285   4.1954913   .32857683
                        r1           9   3.1220409   3.4490061   4.2428145   .09280341
                        r1           8   3.1005003    3.395332   4.2474441   .17454652
                        r1           7   3.0744456   3.3395563    4.247613    .1632823
                        r1           6   3.1288425   3.3595467   4.4117877  -.28377006
                        r1           5   3.1960485   3.3657744   4.5508839   .77511198
                        r1           4   3.1588123    3.331803   4.6009528   .27169396
                        r1           3   3.1321191    3.276169   4.6014617   .24250955
                        r1           2   3.1065012   3.2203139    4.601462   .26597661
                        r1           1   3.0920902   3.1778133   4.6322902  -.10766455
                        The first output picks lag = 7 from the minimised MAIC (arimaauto does the same). However, at lag 7 (and all other lags), we fail to reject the null that implies a unit root and requires differencing. What is reported in the arimaauto output is from the r(results), i.e. the MAIC, SIC, RMSE, DFGLS at lag 7, rather than the critical values it implies it is reporting.

My question is: Is this intentional? If not, is arimaauto not applying differencing in the correct manner because it isn't pulling the correct critical values?

Thanks in advance
                        Henry

P.S. I'm using version 18 MP
                        Last edited by Henry Cust; 19 Jan 2024, 07:05. Reason: verison clarification

Comment

Dear Henry,

There was a bug in retrieving critical values for the DF-GLS test because of my efforts to make arimaauto reverse compatible with Stata 15. As you (an not only you) have correctly observed, they do not make sense because they are taken from a wrong matrix. I apologize for the mistake.
                          Please find the corrected Stata 15-compatible Mata library (the mlib file) along with the ado and sthlp files here: https://github.com/econcz/stata-arimaauto (you can download the 1.0.5 release as a ZIP file). These files should be put into your PERSONAL folder (type sysdir to locate it). I'm sending the code to Kit Baum as well for it to be uploaded to the SSC.

It is now officially impossible to automatically collect critical values for the DF-GLS test under Stata 15, please run
                          Code:
                          arimaauto var, trace(1)
                          to perform a manual evaluation.

arimaauto is an algorithm performing tests, based on existing commands, and passing variables to Stata's built-in arima program. The logic is the following: 1) perform the Hegy test, 2) perform the DF-GLS and KPSS tests, 3) select the best ARIMA model based on the HK algorithm from R.

I recommend running
                          Code:
                          arimaauto var, trace(1)
                          for test output instead of manual replication.

Take care,
                          Ilya

​​​​​​
                          Last edited by Ilya Bolotov; 09 Feb 2024, 09:10.

Comment

Inquiry on ARIMAAuto::put(): 3301 subscript invalid Error in Stata 16

Originally posted by hee sun View Post
                            Dear Ilya,

I'm using Stata 15.1 and I received the following error:

Code:
                            . sysuse gnp96.dta, clear

. arimaauto gnp96
                            ARIMAAuto::put(): 3301 subscript invalid
                            <istmt>: - function returned error
                            Is there anything I can do to fix the problem?

Thank you
                            Dear Ilya,

I wish to extend my deepest appreciation for your diligent work on enhancing the arimaauto command. Your commitment to improving our analytic tools is genuinely commendable.

Currently, I use Stata version 16 and have encountered a technical challenge that seems to be shared by other users: an error message displaying

Code:
                            ARIMAAuto::put(): 3301 subscript invalid.
                             <istmt>:     -  function returned error
                            r(3301);
                            If you have any suggestions or potential solutions to overcome this obstacle, it would be of great assistance. Your expertise in this matter is highly valued.

Thank you in advance for considering my request, and I look forward to any advice you may be able to provide.

Best regards,
                            Hsin-Yun

Comment

Dear Hsin-Yun,

I know it seems trivial, but have you tried restarting Stata (closing and re-opening it)?
                              Also please check your configuration of c(level).

Kind regards,
                              Ilya
                              Last edited by Ilya Bolotov; 19 Feb 2024, 15:55.

Comment

Update

Following the feedback, arimaauto and xtariamu will display full HEGY errors and warn about panel and non-panel data, starting from versions 1.0.6 and 1.0.3 (I've submitted both to the SSC).
                                No more confusing messages! :-)
                                xtarimau will also offer a simple sdtesti-based test of heterogeneity in models across the panel.

Many thanks to Kit Baum for updating the files in the SSC archives!

Comment

Working...
                                X