Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wishful thinking here but will be nice if Stata 18 has at least 2 core support for basic versions up to SE. And 4 core for MP.

Datasets are getting large and some speed will be a bonus.

Comment

• To be able to estimate subdistribution hazard ratios with more than two groups and to perform Gray's test with Stata.

Comment

• Margins and marginsplot support for restricted cubic splines.

Comment

• Find easy way to flag (e.g. or color a command line) to fix parentheses not balanced error message. Not sure if this is solved in the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by Million Tadesse View Post
            Find easy way to flag (e.g. or color a command line) to fix parentheses not balanced error message. Not sure if this is solved in the past.
            The do file editor has the option to highlight matching braces, so just move the caret to one brace and the corresponding one will be highlighted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jean-Michel Galarneau View Post
              Margins and marginsplot support for restricted cubic splines.

I agree. However, you can make margins and marginsplot work if you only want predictions. If you want to use margins to compute marginal effects, then you are out of luck right now, and it would indeed be nice if that changed in future versions of Stata.

Code:
              // some example data
              sysuse uslifeexp, clear

// to spice things up we do a cubic spline and discrete jump
              mkspline ys = year , cubic
              gen spanish_flu = year == 1918

reg le ys* i.spanish_flu

// we can use margins for predictions
              margins, over(year)
              marginsplot,                            ///
                  recastci(rarea) ciopts(astyle(ci))  ///
                  plotopts(msymbol(i)) scheme(s1mono)
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Graph.png
Views:	1
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1681699
              ---------------------------------
              Maarten L. Buis
              University of Konstanz
              Department of history and sociology
              box 40
              78457 Konstanz
              Germany
              http://www.maartenbuis.nl
              ---------------------------------

Comment

• Maarten Buis and Jean-Michel Galarneau
                While not official, it is possible to use margins to work with other functional forms including splines if you have -f_able- installed.
                Note: I just realized there is a typo in my f_rcpline ado, but the example should still work (update has been submitted), and you can get the file from the attachment)

Code:
                sysuse uslifeexp, clear
                f_rcspline yr=year, nk(5)
                reg le year yr*
                f_able yr?, auto
                margins, dydx(year)
                margins, at(year=(1900(5)2000)) plot
                margins, dydx(year) at(year=(1900(5)2000)) plot
                The problem, however, would be adding the "jump" since my approach only works well with continuous variables. Not discreet. and in this case, Spanish flue would be a function of the year, which i do not include here.

also, until the package update is done, you can get the -f_rcpline.ado- file attached.
                Best wishes
                Attached Files

Comment

• My personal wishlist is mostly focused on making Stata faster:

1. Implement the estimation of otherwise identical regression equations with only different outcome variables by using only one command (like in fixest for R). Looping different outcome variables currently requires unnecessary matrix calculations.
                  2. Allow import delimited and export delimited to read/write compressed files.
                  3. Native support for parquet files.
                  4. frlink should support 1:m
                  5. Append for frames
                  6. Collapse to frame
                  7. Allow frlink and merge based on label values. Currently, it's not possible to encode and label string IDs from different data sources before merging because the keys won't match. This is very inconvenient with large data sets.
                  8. Related to the previous part, a new data type 'category' would probably be a good idea. Or a new, more efficient data type for strings (like in data.table/datatable).

Furthermore, I would love to see the Stata native adoption of gtools, reghdfe and boottest

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiaga Falcao View Post
                    Network Analytics (Econometrics and Visualization)
                    I will second on this. Exponential family random graph models and tools for visualising network data is currently the only reason I have to R sometimes. The whole familiy of tools for doing SNA seems missing from Stata. I know there are some user written commands, but it would be convinient if the StataCorp could sort them through and add some to "base" Stata.

Comment

• - speed up import of data
                      - don't hang the ui when a longer process is busy (like importing data)
                      - treat missings as missings, so x > 50 doesn't result in true for missings, but in missings (this requires the use of proper data types without missings defined as large numbers)
                      - support debugging, especially of for-loops
                      - support formatting excel files within stata (so unify features with mata) and introduce open and close commands to avoid reading&writing on each command (is slow, see above)
                      - introduce a proper project management which allows for refactoring variable names, file names, etc across files in your project

Comment

• re unifying excel support across stata and mata, actually unify all commands and syntax, eg. import delim imports variable names lowercase by default, you don't need to declare the first row to contain variable names. import excel preserves casing of variable names by default, and needs instructions to read the variable names from the first row.

Comment

• I would like to see more "Stata" command have their "Mata" equivalent. Perhaps this would be too much for complex commands, but for simpler ones, that require fewer checkups, it would be convenient.
                          (for example a regress, logit, probit, etc)

Comment

• FernandoRios boy wouldn't that be perfect.

Comment

• I love the new table features, but I would love to be able to sort the rows by a particular value (for example, in descending order by the contents of a given column). I am frankly astonished that I cannot find any sorting features. (I have stumbled across the user-written myaxis ado file, thank you Nicholas Cox.)

I wish graph bar/graph hbar allowed me to add values at the end of the bars based on other variables, or let me change the opacity or color of the bars based on some other variable. (For example, I want my reader to be able to see which bars are computed from low sample sizes.)

Comment

• When I have several Stata versions running, a little version number, e.g. 2, occurs at the top left just after the Stata icon.
                                It would be very nice if the do-file editor and the data editor had the corresponding version number shown at the top left just as their original Stata version has.
                                Kind regards

nhb

Comment

Working...
                                X