Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renaming year variable

Hi All. Sorry for such a silly question, because I have read the help section in stata on this and I am continuing to get an error message.

I am working on 1:1 merge of two county-level data sets by year and fips variables but getting more an append. I thought it was because of an issue with fips variable (state and county codes), but I think it might be because one data set the year variable is in 4-digits and the other data set the variable is in 2 digits. I wanted to change the 4-digits into 2-digits. In a previous post from Clyde Schechter, he suggested very very helpful information on renaming year variable. But I am getting a continuous error message.

Code:
    rename *20# *#
    Code:
    variable *20?* not found // error message I am receiving
    Not sure what to do. Here is a little sample of my variables

Code:
    * Example generated by -dataex-. To install: ssc install dataex
    clear
    input long fips_code int year
    1001 2013
    1001 2014
    1001 2016
    1001 2015
    1001 2012
    1003 2014
    1003 2012
    1003 2016
    1003 2015
    1003 2013
    end
    I am thinking once I can fix the year variable to two digits then the 1:1 merge between county-level data will merge accurately.

Thanks

Rene
    Using Stata 12.1 on Mac OS Catalina

Code:
    replace year = mod(year, 2000)

Comment

The name of your variable is year and its values are numbers like 2013. Changing the name has nothing do with changing the values.

A better idea would just be to change the display format.

Code:
      . display %tyY 2013
      Subtracting 2000 -- or extracting the last two digits with mod() as in @Joseph Coveney's excellent answer -- may look a benign change for your data example -- until you have to work out why 08 displays as 8 and you get puzzling results trying to compare values in 99 and in 00.

Comment

Just wondering, "adding" two digits in the other dataset (and adjusting for the millenium as well as century).
        Best regards,

Marcos

Comment

Indeed, making the year variables comparable by adding 2000, or whatever, to one is more important. My post in #3 is perhaps tangential to the original question.

Comment

Thank you so much Joseph Coveney and Nick Cox. It worked great and my merge worked perfectly.

Comment

Working...
            X