No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP filter in panel data

Hello,

I am working with panel data and I'd like to apply the Hodrick Prescott filter on a variable (v2x_polyarchy) for each country.
    I have tried the following:

encode country_text_id, gen(countries)
    xtset countries year
    tsfilter hp cycle_dem = v2x_polyarchy, smooth(400) trend(hptrend_dem)

But it runs only for a couple of countries and this problem emerges:

Number of gaps in sample: 1 (gap count includes panel changes)
    sample may not contain gaps

I have also tried to run a loop and that for each country the filter will be applied generating a different variable with each cycle.

encode country_text_id, gen(countries)
    xtset countries year

foreach i in countries {
    tsfilter hp cycle_dem_`i' = v2x_polyarchy, smooth(400) trend(hptrend_dem_`i')
    }

But now the problem remains the same and only one variable is created (with the name cycle_dem_countries) instead of one for each country's cycle.

Could anyone please tell me what am I doing wrong?

Thnk you all
    Last edited by Angel Muniz; 06 Dec 2019, 11:15.

You're imagining, I guess, that the loop

Code:
    foreach i in countries
    somehow ensures that Stata loops over the distinct values of the variable countries. But that's not the way that the loop works. Your loop is a loop over a single item, the text "countries", and so boils down to a single statement

tsfilter hp cycle_dem_countries = v2x_polyarchy, smooth(400) trend(hp_trend_dem_countries)

which is legal, but doesn't do anything different.

Otherwise, the problem is as reported. If gaps are fatal, gaps are fatal. You should consider interpolation, or move on.

Comment

If that is not how the loop works, how should I write it?

I'd like the hp filter to run for each country and generate a new variable (cycle_dem_i) with the i of each country

thank you for the answer

Comment

The command automatically treats panels separately. A loop won’t solve the problem of gaps, which needs a different solution, namely interpolation first.

Comment

Working...
        X