No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xtregar or xtreg vce(robust)

Dear friends

I am looking at a panel data set (from 1960 to 2015) where the dependent variable is military burden of Asian countries and independent variables consist of several determinants such as income, number of borders etc. I want to look at how change of military burden in China or India has impacted on military burden of other Asian countries. With my data set I have the problem of autocorrelation (according to the xtserial). While reading on this, I found that I can use xtregar command or xtreg vce(robust). Can anyone suggest me what would be the best method to use to correct autocorrelation in my case and I want to control for country fixed effects also.

Thanks in advance

Harsha

Harsha:
    if you have an N>T panel dataset (where N is the number of panels and T is the time variable), go -xtreg-, robust (or -vce(robust) or, again -vce(cluster panelid)-);
    if you have a T>N panel dataset, go -xtregar-.
    Kind regards,
    Carlo
    (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Hi Carlo

Thanks for your reply. My T>N since I am covering a 55 years and number of countries only 20. When using xtregar is there any difference when explaining coefficients compared to xtreg. According to my understanding in xtregar command we use AR(1) model where lag of dependent variable is considered as an independent variable. Is that the only change ?

Thanks agiain

Kind Regards
      Harsha

Comment

Harsha:
        -xtregar- uses AR(1) as a distubance, not as a predictor; AR(1) is the substantive feature of -xtregar-.
        Kind regards,
        Carlo
        (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Hi Carlo

Thanks again for the reply. In that case is there any difference in interpreting coefficients

Thanks
          Kind Regards
          Harsha

Comment

Harsha:
            no difference.
            For more details, see -xtregar- entry in Stata .pdf manual.
            Kind regards,
            Carlo
            (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Carlo,

Would you have a citation I can use when I go by your guideline? (if you have an N>T panel dataset (where N is the number of panels and T is the time variable), go -xtreg-, robust (or -vce(robust) or, again -vce(cluster panelid)-);if you have a T>N panel dataset, go -xtregar-.)

Phil

Comment

Phil:
                the recommendation to switch from -xtreg- for N>T panel dataset to -xtregar- for T>N panel dataset is reported in https://www.stata.com/bookstore/micr...metrics-stata/, Chapter 8: 277-278.
                My advice to invoke -robust- or -cluster- option if heteroskedasticity and/or autocorrelation is detected in N>T panel dataset came from the original poster description; conversely, these options are not available for -xtregar-.
                Kind regards,
                Carlo
                (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Thank!
                  Phil

Comment

Hi Carlo

Thanks for your above replies. Now I am looking at a much larger sample where N>T. In that case I am thinking of using -xtreg-, robust (or -vce(robust) or, -vce(cluster panelid). But my concern is one of my independent variable (most important one actually) is military burden of China. But this variable is not independent across panels since it is the same values for all the countries. Will that be a problem in using xtreg vce(panelID)

Thanks
                    Best Regards
                    Harsha

Comment

Harsha:
                      coefficients of time-invariant predictors are not estimated under the -fe- specification-. This is the only problem.
                      Kind regards,
                      Carlo
                      (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Comment

Further to the above discussion. Does xtregar have an equivalent option for robust standard errors or are they not relevant in this case? If they are not relevant then why is this the case?

Comment

The answer is given in the help file: -help xtregar-
                            xtregar fits cross-sectional time-series regression models when the
                            disturbance term is first-order autoregressive. xtregar offers a within
                            estimator for fixed-effects models and a GLS estimator for random-effects
                            models.

Comment

Working...
                            X