Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggregating PISA data on school level; identifying identical schools over different periods

Hi,

I am using PISA data of 2006 and 2012; the aim is to transform this somehow so I get school-level panel data for 2 periods. However, "SCHOOLID", the unique code for identifying different schools went from a 5-digits code in 2006 to a 7-digits code in 2012. Additionally, I cannot find information on how the codes are assigned to schools so (for now) I have no way to be sure that I can identify the same school in 2006 and 2012 in order to treat them as panel data.

First question: I realize this is not a PISA data forum but the other questions might be superfluous if someone knows the answer. Does anyone know if the "SCHOOLID" code of 2006 and 2012 are in any way linked so I that can simply identify the same school in both years by e.g. transforming the codes? From what I've found, OECD does not provide any additional information on the "SCHOOLID" code from what I can find.

Second question: Is there a different way to identify schools? Can I, for example, check all other variables (all +600 of them) if they behave the same as "SCHOOLID" as in they are different for students of different schools but identical for students of the same school? Any way to check this?

Third question: if it is not possible to do this, what would be an alternative grouping strategy? I reckon that if I use some sort of clustering, I can't treat the data as panel data anymore?

Last question: suppose I am able to identify the schools in some way, how then should I aggregate the PISA values on a school level with the plausible values? Someone suggested to average each of the 5 plausible values for every student of a specific school so that I still have 5 plausible values on school level to continue with. This seems counterintuitive to me because I read averaging plausible scores is never the way to go.

I would gladly accept any solutions, suggestions, remarks or criticism.
Working...
X