No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Percent or percentage point?

Hi,
    I have a regression where I have return on assets as the dependent variable, and a set of dummy variables, and accounting variables as the independent variables. I run this regression in STATA and get a coefficient of 8.5 for the dummy variable "wealth". (Mening the person owning the company is wealthy). My question is, does this mean that wealth effects ROA by 8.5% or by 8.5 percentage points?

Thank you!

Percentage points.

Remember, if you do linear regression, you essentially have ROA = b*wealthDummy + e
    Imagine ROA of a poor person is 3.5%, then the ROA of a wealthy person is 3.5 + b.
    Your estimate for b is 8.5, which implies a ROA of 3.5 + 8.5 = 12

Comment

Thank you Jesse! Does this even hold when it is a panel data?
      Sorry for stupid question, I'm new with stata

Comment

Yes! And no problem (you'd be surprised how many published academic papers write percentage when it should be percentage points...)

Comment

https://xkcd.com/985/

Click image for larger version

Name:	percentage_points.png
Views:	2
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1454455
          David Radwin
          Senior Researcher, California Competes
          californiacompetes.org
          Pronouns: He/Him

Comment

If the units of ROA are percent, wouldn't it be acceptable to assume that you can say, "The intercept is 3%, and owner wealth is associated with an additional 8.5%" and expect the listener to understand that we're talking about a total ROA of about 12%? To distinguish a proportional increase of (8.5 + 3) / 3, wouldn't you be expected to say "a fourfold increase" or "an increase of 400% of baseline", the qualification being necessary in the context of discussion of a linear model where the assumption is additivity?

I work with industrial product-development studies all of the time, where it is common to express results in terms of rates and risk differences. I don't recall ever seeing the term "percentage point" in any protocol, statistical analysis plan or study report. No one I've spoken with has appeared to misunderstand what a "10% margin of noninferiority" means.

Is it an econometrics thing? Where it's often the log of this versus the log of that in a linear regression model, and so discussion of regression coefficients can get muddled unless you're explicit?
            Last edited by Joseph Coveney; 20 Jul 2018, 20:04.

Comment

The increase, itself, would be threefold, and not four,but that would underscore the need to stick with the metrics of the model when describing the results.

Comment

I suppose it's field-dependent indeed. If your field almost exclusively deals with absolute changes in percentage-valued variables, then using percentage points instead of just % is a waste of energy. Alternatively, in a field like finance you often have stocks going up 0.5% (percent), but also interest rates going up by 0.5% (percentage points). In the end, if you are familiar with the context you can almost always deduce from the context which of the two is relevant. But for example, I have no idea whether a 10% margin of noninferiority would refer to 10pp or 10%, but that's mainly because I haven't the faintest idea what it is. In academia this is quite a common situation - the authors might be talking about concepts you've only learned about a few pages back and then you don't necessarily know whether that 8.67% increase is really a percent or a percentage point.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

Comment

Working...
                  X