No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic panel data

Dear users,

I have a panel dataset composed of 28 countries (EU-28) for 20 years (1995-2015). I have government expenditure as dependent variable and several country-specific political characteristics as independent variables. I am wondering what is the best model I should use. I expect my dependent variable depends on its own past values, so as I would like to include lagged values of y in the regression. I think at dynamic panel models such as system-gmm, but I know that n>>t. Alternatively, I think at gls. Also, what about country and year fixed efffects?

Thanks!

You didn't get a quick answer. You'll increase your chances of a useful answer by following the FAQ on asking questions.

A general question like "what model should I use" is hard to answer.

Comment

Thank you Phil for your suggestion.

I will try to be more specific. I have a dataset that is quite large in the time dimension (with 20 years) and somewhat small in N=28 countries. Give the number of years ,I may have issues of non-stationarity and I should control for auto-correlation. I think that a regression only including time and id fixed effects does not solve my problem. Theoretically, I guess I should use a dynamic panel model but as far as I know the number of observations I have is too small to get consistent results. I am not such familiar with dynamic panel models.

I may lag my dependent variable in the following way: reg cgexp L.cgexp controls i.year, cluster(country) but I am not sure to get rid of the above issues.
      In another post, I saw people suggesting XTGLS. Is it a way out of the problem of small N?

thanks for any suggestion!

Comment

Hey,

try to log your variables and use first differences, this may get you rid of the stationarity issue.
        Further, for a dynamic macro panel take a look at the paper by Judson, Owen (1999), you might consider using the LSDVC estimator by Kievit (xtlsdvc) or the GMM Arrelano-Bond estimators (xtabond, xtabond2).

Best regards
        Tobi

Comment

Working...
        X