Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new Stata package soc2nssec: Derive seven-level NSSEC analytic class from SOC

Dear Statalists.

A new Stata package soc2nssec is available for download. https://github.com/MinZhang1987/soc2nssec

soc2nssec derives seven-level NSSEC (The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification) analytic class from Standard Occupational Classifications: SOC90, SOC2000, and SOC2010.

soc2nssec follows the official documents "The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification User Manual" (for SOC90 and SOC2000) and "Volume 3 The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification: (Rebased on the SOC2010) User Manual".

Please note that soc2nssec uses the simplified method to derive the NSSEC class. It requires the complete information of SOC unit group (i.e., 3-digit SOC90, 4-digit SOC2000, or 4-digit SOC2010).

Code:
    use soc2nssec_sample_data
    soc2nssec jobsoc00, gen(class7) version(00)
    * where the variable jobsoc00 refers SOC2000, which exists in the sample data; the variable class7 is newly generated NSSEC 7-level class; version(00) claims SOC2000.
    * It creates value labels according to seven-level NSSEC scheme. To switch it off, add the option " nolabel ".
    The package soc2nssec is currently not available on Stata SSC. I submitted the package to Stata SSC three months ago but have not received any reply yet.
    I uploaded my package to the Github. https://github.com/MinZhang1987/soc2nssec

The package includes the ado file, sthlp file, and a sample data.

How to install a personal ado file:
    Download the ZIP file.
    Extract the contents of the ZIP file to a temporary folder.
    Type "personal" in Stata and note the location of your personal ado-directory (for Windows users, usually c:\ado\personal\ ).
    Copy and paste the ado-directory in the window folder. Very likely that the folder is hidden.
    Move all extracted files to the personal ado-directory.
    Please note that the sample data are not built in Stata. Users need to save the sample data somewhere else and open it as the personal data.

P.S. I am not sure how to post a new package which is not available from Stata SSC. Please correct me if I violated any Statalist protocol.

Regards,
    Min
    Last edited by Min Zhang; 22 Nov 2017, 12:06.
Working...
X