No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anders Alexandersson
    replied
    A discussion of random crashes on Stata 14.2 does not belong to this topic "Stata 15 is here". I suggest Kazi open a new post titled "Random crashes using Stata 14.2 on ..." where ... is the operating system if the problem remains and if tech support stopped their investigation. It could be a hardware problem.

Leave a comment:

• Kazi Bacsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Clyde Schechter View Post
    As a tangential point to Kazi Bacsi's theme, I really think he should respond to StataCorp's request to contact tech support about these crashes. I have found Stata to be one of the most stable pieces of software around. I can say with completely honesty and certainty that I have not had a single Stata crash since version 12! And I run Stata on 3 different computers (home, office, and a remote server provided by a client I consult to). All of them Windows boxes, but there are even two different versions of Windows among them. Among my Stata-using colleagues the experience has been similar.
    Unfortunately I can't reproduce the error, but it happens quite randomly each 2-3 days. The tech support couldn't figure out much from the crash logs and obviously need reproducibility. I am not using any extensions, just the most basic data manipulation commands, it is not related to a single dataset etc., so I'm now quite perplexed.

Leave a comment:

• Clyde Schechter
    replied
    As a tangential point to Kazi Bacsi's theme, I really think he should respond to StataCorp's request to contact tech support about these crashes. I have found Stata to be one of the most stable pieces of software around. I can say with completely honesty and certainty that I have not had a single Stata crash since version 12! And I run Stata on 3 different computers (home, office, and a remote server provided by a client I consult to). All of them Windows boxes, but there are even two different versions of Windows among them. Among my Stata-using colleagues the experience has been similar.

Leave a comment:

• James Hassell (StataCorp)
    replied
    Originally posted by Kazi Bacsi View Post

Thanks for your kind answer! Please correct me if I am mistaken, but that option only works if I run the whole do file, but it doesn't, when I run certain sections by selecting them (which is in 99% the case when I am coding).
    Yes, you are correct about how that setting works. Thanks for the clarification. We will look at possibly extending the functionality in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Kazi Bacsi
    replied
    Originally posted by James Hassell (StataCorp) View Post

From the Do-file Editor's menu, look under Edit->Preferences, and once there look under Advanced. Select 'Always save before do/run'. This is available in Stata 15, 14, and before. If using Stata 13 or earlier, the Do-file Editor preference layout is different; look under the 'Windowing' group.

If you are experiencing crashes, perhaps you can send [email protected] something that is reproducible so we can investigate.

Dear James,

Thanks for your kind answer! Please correct me if I am mistaken, but that option only works if I run the whole do file, but it doesn't, when I run certain sections by selecting them (which is in 99% the case when I am coding).

Leave a comment:

• James Hassell (StataCorp)
    replied
    Recently I've experienced many Stata 14.2 crashes that was reported to the customer service. This involves losing quite much code. I've found among the feature requests a previous post asking for auto-save (every n minutes or each time Ctrl-D is pressed). Would it be a big deal to introduce it in a patch?
    From the Do-file Editor's menu, look under Edit->Preferences, and once there look under Advanced. Select 'Always save before do/run'. This is available in Stata 15, 14, and before. If using Stata 13 or earlier, the Do-file Editor preference layout is different; look under the 'Windowing' group.

If you are experiencing crashes, perhaps you can send [email protected] something that is reproducible so we can investigate.

Leave a comment:

• Kazi Bacsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Joseph Coveney View Post

Code:
    help cmdlog
    Thank you very much indeed for this idea, I will use it! However, it is not replacing a very basic feature of script editors, and I don't think it would be an immense effort to code it...

Leave a comment:

• Joseph Coveney
    replied
    Recently I've experienced many Stata 14.2 crashes that was reported to the customer service. This involves losing quite much code. I've found among the feature requests a previous post asking for auto-save (every n minutes or each time Ctrl-D is pressed). Would it be a big deal to introduce it in a patch?
    Code:
    help cmdlog

Leave a comment:

• Kazi Bacsi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• David Stevens
    replied
    Have there been any improvements to the multithreading of functions in Stata 15? In Stata 14 commands like mixed and stcox are both calculated using a single thread. Will these actually use multiple cores in Stata 15?

Leave a comment:

• Bill Sribney (StataCorp)
    replied
    Originally posted by Emilio Matuk View Post
    I am using command "spmatrix idistance" which looks with a limit on size of 11,000 x 11,000 (aprox). Am I correct?
    The limit on the size of the weighting matrices in the Sp commands is the limit of matrices in Mata -- which is 2^48 - 1. Obviously, you will reach memory limits on your computer before you make a square matrix of that size. The limit of 11,000 is max_matsize, which only applies to matrices created in Stata, not those created in Mata.

So the effective limit on the size of weighting matrices is the RAM of your computer.
    Last edited by Bill Sribney (StataCorp); 05 Jul 2017, 14:27.

Leave a comment:

• Chinh Nguyen (StataCorp)
    replied
    Originally posted by Ellora Derenoncourt View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a Stata/MP 15 for Mac user and wanted to point out a couple bugs:

1. The variables window in the main window appears empty even when a dataset with variables is loaded.
    2. The file path does not update even after using the cd command. It's stuck on the Applications directory.

I've talked to several other Mac users of the new release who've found the same issues. Is there a solution for these issues or can they be addressed in a future update?

Thanks so much,

Ellora
    I'm assuming you're at Harvard and obtained Stata 15 from there. If so, there's a problem with their installer. Get their installer again, remove the old Stata 15, and reinstall Stata 15.

It's very important that you remove the old Stata 15. The version of the Stata 15 application that their installer was installing does not match anything from StataCorp and we can't vouch for any of the other files that were installed. We did verify that their current installer seems to be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Emilio Matuk
    replied
    I am using command "spmatrix idistance" which looks with a limit on size of 11,000 x 11,000 (aprox). Am I correct?

Leave a comment:

• Ellora Derenoncourt
    replied
    Hi all,

I'm a Stata/MP 15 for Mac user and wanted to point out a couple bugs:

1. The variables window in the main window appears empty even when a dataset with variables is loaded.
    2. The file path does not update even after using the cd command. It's stuck on the Applications directory.

I've talked to several other Mac users of the new release who've found the same issues. Is there a solution for these issues or can they be addressed in a future update?

Thanks so much,

Ellora

Leave a comment:

• Ariel Karlinsky
    replied
    In stata for windows it's with <Alt> during text selection.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X