X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlo Lazzaro
    replied
    Sophie:
    why not sharing -xtoprobit- outcome table, too? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• sophie maene
    replied
    Dear,

I estimated a random effects ordered probit model:
    Code:
     xtoprobit shealth c.age##c.age i.wave, vce(cluster mergeid_n)
    To see whether the turning point was included in my data i ran as was suggested in this thread.

Code:
    nlcom -_b[age]/(2*_b[c.age#c.age])
    The data in my sample runs from 65-95 but I receive

Code:
    _nl_1:  -_b[age]/(2*_b[c.age#c.age])

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         shealth |      Coef.   Std. Err.      z    P>|z|     [95% Conf. Interval]
    -------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
           _nl_1 |   1427.445   5472.045     0.26   0.794    -9297.566    12152.46
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The age 1427.445 simply does not exists. Any idea what is going on?

When I run:

Code:
     margins, at (age=(65(5)95)) nose
    marginsplot
    I get this margins plot:

Not sure of this margins plot proves that I should use age squared or not.

Thank you in advance!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sophie maene; 30 Apr 2020, 13:48.

Leave a comment:

• Aye Aye Khaine
    replied
    Thank you so much, Professor Clyde!
    Much appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• Clyde Schechter
    replied
    You are reading the graph accurately, but you are misinterpreting its meaning. You cannot, from this graph, say anything about the height for age z-score of any one child, nor can you make statements such as "all children are above -2 z score." The predicted values that are plotted in that graph are the mean height-for-age z-scores at that age, adjusted for other variables in your model. So the average height for age is always above -2, but there may be many children whose height for age dips below that value. And you can't say anything about any single child from this graph. It is a graph of the average values (adjusted) only.

Leave a comment:

• Aye Aye Khaine
    replied
    Hi Clyde,
    Please let me try the following in the graph and please correct me if I am not making sense of the graph. the dependent variable was height for age z score (standard deviation)unit. Children <-2 z score are considered stunted.

The graph means that

at about 2 months of age, his or her height for age z score (or their height growth according to that age) is growing between .-5 (fish) and .-6 height for age z score. as a child reaches to 6 months old, their height for age z score between -8 and -9. Older children in my sample average height for age z score is low in general. However, all children are above -2 z score.

Is that how I should be making sense?

Thanks so much for your previous reply.

Hope to hear again soon. Please help and I got to get over this.

Leave a comment:

• Clyde Schechter
    replied
    In #16 you show results of the -utest- command, and the pvalue is 6.40e-16. In ordinary scientific notation that's 6.4x10-16. So why do you say p > .10? You know, I'm one of those people who doesn't like the concept of statistical significance at all, and am often dismissive of p-values, but even I would be loathe to go against a pvalue of 6.4x10-16. Even though it is absurd to pretend that p-values have anything approaching that level of accuracy, you don't get a pvalue that small without something going on that's worth talking about.

Even ignoring p-values, the U-shapedness of the graph is unmistakeable. Even if the p-value really were > .10, I would call this a definitely U-shaped relationship.

Leave a comment:

• Aye Aye Khaine
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.png
Views:	3
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1491738 Hello, here is the graph on the regression I posted with age and age squared. U shape test's p value was way above p>.10. so, not sure I need to do age squared??? please advise and hope to hear from you soon.
    Best regards,
    Aye Aye
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Aye Aye Khaine
    replied
    Hi,
    How do I get the graph to show? I just did the simple cut and paste and it is not showing.

Leave a comment:

• Clyde Schechter
    replied
    No graph is showing in #18.

Leave a comment:

• Aye Aye Khaine
    replied
    Hello,

I did the margins plot on the regression model I presented earlier with the squared of age. My age ranges are from zero to sixty months. I got the following graph. I don't think it is actually U shaped. It is just a liner declining function as children ages and their height are not growing. Am I right? Is the graph below showing?

margins, at (agemo= (2 (4) 65))
    marginsplot

Last edited by Aye Aye Khaine; 03 Apr 2019, 17:14.

Leave a comment:

• Aye Aye Khaine
    replied
    Hi Clyde,
    I am sorry. Please disregard my #12.
    Warm regards,
    Aye Aye Khaine

Leave a comment:

• Aye Aye Khaine
    replied
    Hello,
    I did the U test. How shall I interpret? P value is insignificant. Does that mean that there is no shape? my model is linear without the squared term?

. utest agemo sq_age

Specification: f(x)=x^2
    Extreme point: 42.57625

Test:
    H1: U shape
    vs. H0: Monotone or Inverse U shape

-------------------------------------------------
    | Lower bound Upper bound
    -----------------+-------------------------------
    Interval | .00274 64.56667
    Slope | -.0673668 .0347968
    t-value | -15.02906 8.016549
    P>|t| | 1.65e-50 6.40e-16
    -------------------------------------------------

Overall test of presence of a U shape:
    t-value = 8.02
    P>|t| = 6.40e-16

Thanks so much

Leave a comment:

• Aye Aye Khaine
    replied
    Hi Clyde,
    Thank you. I keep making such basic mistake.
    Thanks for catching that!

Leave a comment:

• Clyde Schechter
    replied
    Re #12: This question is unrelated to the content of this thread. Please repost as a New Topic.

It is important to keep threads on topic: people sometimes search for specific topics or keywords in the title. By including off-topic posts, you waste the time of people who come looking for that topic. And, if somebody in the future has a question similar to yours and tries to search for it, they won't find it.

Leave a comment:

• Clyde Schechter
    replied
    Why do you have // at the end of the command? The purpose of // is to set off the rest of the line as a comment--but you don't have any comment there. So get rid of that. If you really do plan to put a comment there, then fine, but in that case you must put a blank space between the ) and the //.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X