Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Hi Carlo if you could please reply to ^ #15 I'd be really grateful. just want to crystal clear thanks.

Comment

^sorry reposted #16 in a panic.

Comment

Prash:
        I keep replying along the same lines as the answer looks (to me, at any rate), the same.
        Provided that what you're keeping asking is well covered in -xtreg- entry of Stata .pdf manual:
        - if you use -robust- option in -regress- (regardless you have cross-sectional or panel data) your standard errors will accomodate for heteroskedasticity only. If you actually have panel data and you use -regress- but omit to cluster the standard errors on -panelid-, your results will be biased (ie, untrustworthy) ,as you consider all the observations as independent and neglect their panel structure. Hence, it is not that -robust- outperforms -cluster- if you use -regress- with panel data: -robust- is simply wrong;
        - if you use -robust- under -xtreg- your standard errors will take both heteroskedasticity and/or autocorrelation of the systematic error into account. Hence if your panel data are affected by heteroskedasticity only; serial correlation only; both heteroskedasticity and serial correlation, -robust- (or -cluster-) option will account for them.
        Kind regards,
        Carlo
        (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Originally posted by Carlo Lazzaro View Post
          Prash:
          I keep replying along the same lines as the answer looks (to me, at any rate), the same.
          Provided that what you're keeping asking is well covered in -xtreg- entry of Stata .pdf manual:
          - if you use -robust- option in -regress- (regardless you have cross-sectional or panel data) your standard errors will accomodate for heteroskedasticity only. If you actually have panel data and you use -regress- but omit to cluster the standard errors on -panelid-, your results will be biased (ie, untrustworthy) ,as you consider all the observations as independent and neglect their panel structure. Hence, it is not that -robust- outperforms -cluster- if you use -regress- with panel data: -robust- is simply wrong;
          - if you use -robust- under -xtreg- your standard errors will take both heteroskedasticity and/or autocorrelation of the systematic error into account. Hence if your panel data are affected by heteroskedasticity only; serial correlation only; both heteroskedasticity and serial correlation, -robust- (or -cluster-) option will account for them.
          Hi there what If initally I am just using a pooled approach to the data so intentially assuming each obs is independant, can I justify using the robust on the -regress- on the panel then?

But in very elementary terms if I just use the robust standard to show that I corrected for hetro, not anything deeper. Is it a very obvious flaw.

what would be biased in terms of p value, t stat, coefficients?

Or would it better not using the robust at all in my OLS. I have a very Large N and only 2 time periods. I do not want to use cluster.

Thanks
          Last edited by Prathvajeeth Rajmohan; 03 Sep 2017, 07:45.

Comment

Ok thanks Carlo phrased my last reply in hurry during the late hours so it wasnt really coherent.

Originally posted by Carlo Lazzaro View Post
            Prash:
            But what if in my initial OLS approach I am pooling the data (the panel is unbalanced) and so I do want the to consider the observations as independant, in this case to simply superficially solve for the hetroskedasticity would using -regress- (in the panel ) and robust be fine?

I know "technically" its wrong but Im asking if its allowed and if it does the job of solving for hetro?

thanks so much Carlo

Comment

Prash:
              as you write, it's technically wrong.
              I'm not aware of any theoretical reason that makes it acceptable.
              Kind regards,
              Carlo
              (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Is it possible to use the 'robust' command when you are using xtreg and have <30 clusters? If not, is there something else you could use? I have heteroskedasticty and I have only 23 clusters and when I try to use robust after re, the Wald chi2 and Prob > chi2 is removed, whilst it is given when I do not use the robust command. Thank you.

Comment

Hannah:
                  welcome to this forum.
                  1) the omission of Wald chi2 statistic when you invoke non-default standard errors should not worry you (see -help j_robustsingular- for more details);
                  2) indeed 23 clusters are not enough to rely on clustered-robust standard errors (see http://cameron.econ.ucdavis.edu/rese...February.pdf);
                  3) you may want to give -bootstrap- standard errors a shot and compare them with their default counterparts.
                  Kind regards,
                  Carlo
                  (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Thank you Carlo for the helpful advise. I only have 286 observations though so I don't seem to have enough observations to compute bootstrap standard errors. Thank you.

Comment

Hannah:
                      could you please provide what you typed (-xtset- included) and what Stata gave you back after -xtreg-? Thanks.
                      Kind regards,
                      Carlo
                      (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Code:
                        encode Pump, gen(Pump1)
                        xtset Pump1 Month
                        xtreg lnmedian_daily_abs_pp i.Month i.Salinity_percent_group i.size_area_group abs_limits i.Pump1, re vce(bootstrap, nodots reps(200))
                        Code:
                        insufficient observations to compute bootstrap standard errors
                        no results will be saved
                        r(2000)

Comment

Hannah:
                          have you already tested that the functional form of your regressand is correctly specified?
                          In the following toy-example, the model is misspecified, as -test- on -sq_fitted- rejects the null:
                          Code:
                          . use "https://www.stata-press.com/data/r17/nlswork.dta"
                          (National Longitudinal Survey of Young Women, 14-24 years old in 1968)

. xtreg ln_wage c.age##c.age, re vce(cluster idcode)

Random-effects GLS regression                   Number of obs     =     28,510
                          Group variable: idcode                          Number of groups  =      4,710

R-squared:                                      Obs per group:
                               Within  = 0.1087                                         min =          1
                               Between = 0.1015                                         avg =        6.1
                               Overall = 0.0870                                         max =         15

Wald chi2(2)      =    1258.33
                          corr(u_i, X) = 0 (assumed)                      Prob > chi2       =     0.0000

(Std. err. adjusted for 4,710 clusters in idcode)
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                       |               Robust
                               ln_wage | Coefficient  std. err.      z    P>|z|     [95% conf. interval]
                          -------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
                                   age |   .0590339   .0041049    14.38   0.000     .0509884    .0670795
                                       |
                           c.age#c.age |  -.0006758   .0000688    -9.83   0.000    -.0008107    -.000541
                                       |
                                 _cons |   .5479714   .0587198     9.33   0.000     .4328826    .6630601
                               sigma_u |   .3654049
                               sigma_e |  .30245467
                                   rho |  .59342665   (fraction of variance due to u_i)

. predict fitted, xb

. g sq_fitted=fitted^2

. xtreg ln_wage fitted sq_fitted , re vce(cluster idcode)

Random-effects GLS regression                   Number of obs     =     28,510
                          Group variable: idcode                          Number of groups  =      4,710

R-squared:                                      Obs per group:
                               Within  = 0.1088                                         min =          1
                               Between = 0.1045                                         avg =        6.1
                               Overall = 0.0887                                         max =         15

Wald chi2(2)      =    1316.74
                          corr(u_i, X) = 0 (assumed)                      Prob > chi2       =     0.0000

(Std. err. adjusted for 4,710 clusters in idcode)
                                       |               Robust
                               ln_wage | Coefficient  std. err.      z    P>|z|     [95% conf. interval]
                                fitted |   2.805959   .6246598     4.49   0.000     1.581648    4.030269
                             sq_fitted |  -.5516341   .1920793    -2.87   0.004    -.9281026   -.1751656
                                 _cons |  -1.468083   .5055433    -2.90   0.004     -2.45893   -.4772365
                               sigma_u |  .36481589
                               sigma_e |  .30242516
                                   rho |  .59269507   (fraction of variance due to u_i)

. test sq_fitted

( 1)  sq_fitted = 0

chi2(  1) =    8.25
                                   Prob > chi2 =    0.0041

Kind regards,
                          Carlo
                          (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Working...
                          X