Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Precisely representing an irrational number in integer-base arithmetic is of course impossible. I do not ask that Stata be able to do this. Nor do I ask that Stata implement CAS, rather than floating point arithmetic, to solve such systems exactly. Nor do I ask that Stata violate IEEE 754-2008.

What I ask, basically, is that Stata flush denormal numbers to positive zero (FTZ) in this self-contained context (i.e. VCV matrices and intermediate matrices produced by Stata regression commands). This would not be implemented in floating-point arithmetic, but rather in a discrete procedure following these matrix operations. In other words, I am asking Stata to assume that any variance estimated in this way and with magnitude smaller than something like 1e-31 is in fact equal to zero. I think this assumption would virtually always be correct, and in a highly implausible situation where it is incorrect it will be only one of many such errors.

Comment

You should summarize and forward your concerns to Stata Technical Services - and they will consider it if it is valid.

Comment

I have done so. We'll see. I think the most plausible response is that current behavior may look ugly, but it only occurs for flawed models, and therefore doesn't really need to be "fixed".

Thanks for your help, Andrew. I appreciate it.

Comment

Thanks. Keep us updated!

Comment

Working...
          X