No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• optimize(): Non-linear flow constraints

Hi everyone,

I'm usually around the Stata forum but I'm trying to pick up Mata generally and the optimizer() in particular.

What I want to accomplish is to reproduce a dynamic optimization problem described in Section 6.1.2 of the Book Adams, Clarke, Quinn (2015) Microeconometrics and MATLAB.

I started with the simpler problem from Section 6.1.1 with linear constraints (flow equations) that has the following strcuture:
    1. Household has an endowment of W1 and must decide how much to consume each of T periods (the cake-eating problem).
    2. The household maximizes discounted utility over those T periods.
    3. The flow equation for capital is given by: kt+1=kt-ct
    4. This can be summarized in the following fashion: sum(ct)+kt+1=k1
    I managed to solve this problem for given parameter configurations with the following code:

Code:
    // Rewrite optimization problem 6.1.1 Linear Flow Eqns, p.84 from Adams et al (2015) Microeconometrics for Matlab
    mata
    mata clear
    set matastrict off

// Define flow utility equation
    function u(todo, numeric rowvector c, numeric scalar T, numeric scalar beta, u, g, H) {

t = 1..T

u = beta:^(t:-1) * log(c')

}

// Set params
    beta = 0.9
    T = 10
    k1 = 100
    c0 = J(1, T, 10)

// Set constraints
    C = J(1, T, 1)
    c = k1

// Set up optimization problem
    s = optimize_init()
    optimize_init_evaluator(s, &u())
    optimize_init_evaluatortype(s,"v0")
    optimize_init_params(s,c0)
    optimize_init_argument(s, 1, T)

optimize_init_argument(s, 2, beta)
    optimize_init_constraints(s, (C,c))
    c_optim = optimize(s)
    c_optim
    sum(c_optim)
    end
    However, in a slightly modified version of this issue in Section 6.1.2 the flow constraints becomes(Cobb-Douglas-style) non-linear.

That is, the flow constraints now is: kt+1=f(kt-ct, theta)= theta*(kt-ct)^alpha

I am not able to come up with a solution for this modified flow equation. After a substantial amount of Googling it seems like that Mata cannot handle such constraints. Is this correct?

Thanks for any insight.

Best,
    Ulrich
Working...
X