Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test: Problem of extremly increasing Partial Autocorrelations in time series data

Hey dear statalists,

I'm currently trying to make a forecast of the use of prepaid payment instruments using ARIMA modelling in Stata. I have a time series data set, containing monthly oberservations from April 2011 to October 2016 (67 observations).

In order to make the data stationary, I took first differences of the data. Plotting the data it looks quite stationary, but the variance is increasing over time.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Plot of first difference time series.png
Views:	2
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1438555

Nevertheless, the Augmented-Dickey Fuller test did reject the null hypothesis of a unit root, so I concluded that the differenciated data is roughly stationary.

In order to find the appropriate ARIMA specification I follow the general procedure plotting the autocorrelation function (ACF) and the partial autocorrelation function (PACF) of the differenciated data. Unfortunately, my PACF shows a very uncommon pattern: The partial autocorrelation are increasing extremly from lag 17 onwards.

Name:	Increasing PACF of differenciated data.png
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	1438554

I was wondering if the increasing partial autocorrelations are maybe due to the heteroskedasticity of my data. Taking the logarithm, the Problem of heteroskedasticity seems to be avoided (despite two outliers in the beginning).

Name:	Plot of first difference log time series.png
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1438556

Nontheless, the PACF has its Peak with the last lag.

Name:	Increasing PACF of differenciated log data.png
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1438557

So my question is if anyone can explain to me what is the reason for the PACF to behave like this? And how can I counteract the increasing partial autocorrelations?

I appreciate any hint you can give me. I did a lot of Research but have never seen a PACF like mine anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,
    Doro

Working...
X