No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicating observations around event dates

Hi,

I have panel data and I am utilizing an event study approach. The problem is that some event windows are very close to each other and will overlap. For example, an event may happen for company X on Jan 1 and again on Jan 3. The event day for Jan 1 will thus be both 0 (time of event) and -2 (days before event), while it will be both 0 for Jan 3 and +2 (days after an event). If I want to look at 120 days before the event and 30 days after the event this becomes a problem as one row (observation) cannot have two event days.

I am thinking this can be solved by making an id variable for all the events, separating them, and then using the duplicate command with an if statement but I am struggling with it and not very used to the duplicate command.

Thanks in advance!

Note that it is not a problem with the method in my study that the events will overlap, as it normally is. I only need help with the Stata code to separate/duplicate the observations.

Comment

Hello Klas,
      Note this is the Mata section, to discuss Stata's matrix programing language.
      Your issue doesn't seem to be related with Mata, so please consider re-posting it in the general section. Moreover you'd increase your chances to get replied.
      Concerning your problem, it is not very clear what you want to do (or I am not sure that duplicating the events is the good solution, you could also create several event variables for one date to have both 0 and +2 value).
      Anyway, to do what you want to, you should rather use the expand command than the duplicates one.
      You just have to know how many "events" happen for each company.
      Code:
      bysort company : expand nb_event
      See help expand for further details.
      Best,
      Charlie

Comment

Working...
      X