Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compress and uncompress Mata binary matrix file?

Dear all,

I am writing a function to save a matrix in Mata to a file using Mata functions (fopen, fputmatrix) which I need to process and do some calculations later on. It is fast I think, however, the file size of the Mata matrix is very big.

For example, my Mata matrix is 5 mil records x 100 variables, the Mata file size is about 3.72Gb. For the same number of records and variables, the Stata file size is about 700Mb. Similarly, a data of 50 mil records x 100 variables creates 40Gb in Mata size, and about 7.6Gb in Stata file.

Is there a way to compress and uncompress the Mata matrix file without affecting the speed of reading the data back to Mata?

Thank very much for any help.

Minh

While not impossible, it would surprise me. The simple reason being that AFAIK, everything in mata is coded as a double, which takes up 8 bytes per value. Hence, 5M * 100 * 8 bytes = 4GB.
    With how easy it is to transfer things from Stata to Mata though, is it really necessary to save a mata matrix in a file?

Comment

Thanks, and yes we know about the 8 bytes in Mata.
      Not necessary but for convenience we utilized that functions until we can figure out how to save a large matrix into a file and can read one column of data at a time in Mata. This is because we are doing large matrix calculations and Mata cannot handle a large matrix under a general Stata and machine environment (32-bit and 4G RAM).

Thanks,
      Minh

Comment

Working...
      X