Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating covariate means AFTER propensity score matching

Hi, I'm fairly new to Stata and am using version 13 for Windows. I have been conducting propensity score matching using teffects psmatch with nearest neighbour (1, 3 and 5). My question is hopefully fairly simple:

Prior to matching I have the means of my covariates, with and without treatment. To ensure the matching process was adequate, how can I obtain the means of my covariates with and without treatment AFTER matching? Furthermore, as I would like to conduct t-tests to ensure the means are not significantly different for each covariate, how I can obtain the standard deviation and number of observations for each covariate after matching?

Thanks for your help.
    Chris

Hi Chris,

One recommendation would be to use a hybrid approach: using -teffects psmatch- for the benefit of its improved standard errors (see here for more info) when you are estimating effect size, and use -psmatch2- for the easy way to display standardized differences pre- and post-matching.

An Example:
    Code:
    webuse cattaneo2
    logit mbsmoke i.mmarried c.mage c.medu c.nprenatal
    predict ps, pr

psmatch2 mbsmoke, outcome(bweight) p(ps) caliper(0.2) neighbor(1) noreplacement common

​pstest mmarried mage medu nprenatal, both treated(_treated) graph label
    psgraph, treated(_treated) pscore(_pscore) support(_support)
    The last two commands will give you some diagnostics about your matching. The -pstest- command in particular will give you the means of covariates, standardized differences, and reductions in bias after matching, which is what I think you are looking for. Also, the t-tests are included in its output.

Be sure to read the link I included above: further down on that page it is mentioned how to get your -teffects psmatch- and -psmatch2- commands to get the same output.

I hope this helps,

Phil

Comment

As an aside, I notice that questions like this, where people are looking for a way to directly access the matching done in -teffects- seem to come up fairly often. Wishlist for Stata 14: make this information available after -teffects- either through variables left behind in the data set, or through follow-on commands.

Comment

Very good point Clyde. Agree completely. Hopefully this will be added!

Comment

Thanks for your reply Philip. This is exactly what I was after - much appreciated.
          And yes, I certainly agree with Clyde's comment too.

Comment

Rather than using t-tests to evaluate balance, I'd suggest using standardized differences. T-tests are sensitive to sample size (and might miss covariate imbalance) and should be used for hypothesis testing where you want to generalize to a larger population – standardized differences work well when examining characteristics of a given sample

Comment

I just came across this page today, in case it helps.

http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/sscc/pubs/stata_psmatch.htm
              -------------------------------------------
              Richard Williams, Notre Dame Dept of Sociology
              Stata Version: 17.0 MP (2 processor)

EMAIL: [email protected]
              WWW: https://www3.nd.edu/~rwilliam

Comment

Yes, that is the page I linked to in my post. However, I must say, sometimes formatted links don't show up as obviously as full URLs!

Comment

At this years German Users Group Meeting we had a chance to discuss exactly this issue with David Drukker. He explained that t-tests are not valid after the matching, because the tests do not take into account the estimated nature of the balancing process (i.e. the first step). Instead they take the data as if they were observed, and this seems not be theoretically sound. Unfortunately, I cannot elaborate more on this, but can say, that Stata Corp did not forget to include this feature, but omitted it for (good) reason. Therefore I think it is highly unlikely that this will be added in the future.

Best
                  Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Philip Jones View Post
                    Yes, that is the page I linked to in my post. However, I must say, sometimes formatted links don't show up as obviously as full URLs!
                    Whoops. Yes, I don't use formatted links, because I personally often miss the fact that they are links. Although your "see here for more info" would have been a clue.
                    -------------------------------------------
                    Richard Williams, Notre Dame Dept of Sociology
                    Stata Version: 17.0 MP (2 processor)

EMAIL: [email protected]
                    WWW: https://www3.nd.edu/~rwilliam

Comment

Originally posted by daniel klein View Post
                      At this years German Users Group Meeting we had a chance to discuss exactly this issue with David Drukker. He explained that t-tests are not valid after the matching, because the tests do not take into account the estimated nature of the balancing process (i.e. the first step). Instead they take the data as if they were observed, and this seems not be theoretically sound. Unfortunately, I cannot elaborate more on this, but can say, that Stata Corp did not forget to include this feature, but omitted it for (good) reason. Therefore I think it is highly unlikely that this will be added in the future.

Best
                      Daniel
                      True, but they could automate the nice display of standardized differences pre- and post-matching.

Comment

Sorry for resuscitating this thread after more than 3 years, but this is still one of the first threads to come up when googling, "covariate balance teffects stata". To anyone looking to investigate covariate balance after running -teffects-, you can do so using the -tebalance- command introduced in Stata 14 (as requested by Clyde in this thread).

Comment

Yes, it is a useful command.

And, in case people come here looking for weighted means/proportions after using IPTW (not matching) instead of just the standardized differences, they could see this thread - https://www.statalist.org/forums/for...r-teffects-ipw

Comment

The solution for finding means/proportions after iptw is very elegant but I still can’t find an approach that works after teffects psmatch. Anyone have something that works?

Comment

Working...
                            X